advertisement

TV sound problem

richardg

Admonishtrator
My new TV has ok speakers but not really filling the room So when I connect to my amp and speakers, the lower frequencies become impossibly loud, so I turn the tv down and can't hear the voices. So I try the voice sound setting in the TV menu, which works a tiny bit but it's still miles away from being correctly eqed. So I go to the TV graphics equaliser, but it is bypassed when external sound source is selected, meaning it changes nothing. So now what? An external equaliser?

Have you changed the Digital output to PCM in the TV sound settings? Most cinema products are factory set for multi channel, this causes some very weird effects if fed into a stereo DAC. Apologies if you have already done this.

Have you changed the Digital output to PCM in the TV sound settings? Most cinema products are factory set for multi channel, this causes some very weird effects if fed into a stereo DAC. Apologies if you have already done this.
+1 On that. Sometimes it sounds something like a rat in a paper bag!

In the type of output available page, I have only mpeg, Dolby digital, Dolby digital plus, he-aac. It would be on this list, surely?

My new TV has ok speakers but not really filling the room So when I connect to my amp and speakers, the lower frequencies become impossibly loud, so I turn the tv down and can't hear the voices. So I try the voice sound setting in the TV menu, which works a tiny bit but it's still miles away from being correctly eqed. So I go to the TV graphics equaliser, but it is bypassed when external sound source is selected, meaning it changes nothing. So now what? An external equaliser?
Are you absolutely sure the voice setting is doing anything? Given that the equalizer does nothing I'd be highly surprised if any other "sound" setting on the TV did anything to alter the digital output. Certainly on my Panasonic the optical output is fixed and no TV setting (apart from a specific digital output level setting) makes any difference at all to what I hear through my system.

In the type of output available page, I have only mpeg, Dolby digital, Dolby digital plus, he-aac. It would be on this list, surely?
That's rather interesting. I would expect the TV to have a PCM option for it's digital audio output. You say the TV is connected to the preamp, is it a stereo preamp with DAC, or an AV/Surround sound preamp? I ask because if it's the former then the TV must be outputting PCM or else all you'd be hearing (if anything) on your system is a lot of horrible noise (not good for the speakers).

Are you absolutely sure the voice setting is doing anything? Given that the equalizer does nothing I'd be highly surprised if any other "sound" setting on the TV did anything to alter the digital output. Certainly on my Panasonic the optical output is fixed and no TV setting (apart from a specific digital output level setting) makes any difference at all to what I hear through my system.
Yeah defo. When I go to external speakers, the eq setting is greyed out and the rest are not, they remain editable. And when I toggle i can hear changes between voice and cinema etc.

Reactions: gez
That's rather interesting. I would expect the TV to have a PCM option for it's digital audio output. You say the TV is connected to the preamp, is it a stereo preamp with DAC, or an AV/Surround sound preamp? I ask because if it's the former then the TV must be outputting PCM or else all you'd be hearing (if anything) on your system is a lot of horrible noise (not good for the speakers).
It's the tangent preampster stereo preamp.

Yeah defo. When I go to external speakers, the eq setting is greyed out and the rest are not, they remain editable. And when I toggle i can hear changes between voice and cinema etc.
Strange, but ok.

Incidently, I can still alter the bass/treble etc settings on my TV sound's settings even though the optical output is in use, but then my TV just outputs the optical no matter what, it doesn't need to be explicitly selected as an ouput over the speakers.

It's the tangent preampster stereo preamp.
I'm not familiar with it, but as it's stereo then the TV must be outputting PCM already. So whatever you've got set to change the output type, I'd leave it as it is.

Edit: I've just looked the preamp up, it's definitely a stereo DAC, so PCM output of your TV is defintely confirmed I would say.

But it also says the preamp has a "parametric" EQ, bass end working from 120hz down. Can't you just use that to reduce the bass level when watching TV?

I specifically watched an action netflix movie to get the full range of sounds, so it was Kong Vs Godzilla. It was unwatchable. But watching a cop TV series, it's fine. I'm not happy to leave it at that just because one production sounds ok, though.

I specifically watched an action netflix movie to get the full range of sounds, so it was Kong Vs Godzilla. It was unwatchable. But watching a cop TV series, it's fine. I'm not happy to leave it at that just because one production sounds ok, though.
See my edit above.

I'm not familiar with it, but as it's stereo then the TV must be outputting PCM already. So whatever you've got set to change the output type, I'd leave it as it is.

Edit: I've just looked the preamp up, it's definitely a stereo DAC, so PCM output of your TV is defintely confirmed I would say.

But it also says the preamp has a "parametric" EQ, bass end working from 120hz down. Can't you just use that to reduce the bass level when watching TV?

Many thanks, I will see where the switch is and if it makes a decent difference. Wondering if a compressor is the final solution!

No it's something else, I had the problem the other day with an update of an LG OLED TV to WebOS23, it wiped out my LPCM setting. THere's another choice. On the LG TV the one you mentioned says DTV audio format. The one I had to change was something like Digital Output format.

Last edited:
It is TV LED 4K 76" (189 cm) 75UR76 LG
If yours is like my 55" you need to set the sound to optical out + TV if you want to use external dac/pre-amp/active.

edit: following the webOs update, settings no longer show options that were there previously. To access them now you have to go to the user guide which is mad.

my OLED LG has just stopped sending digital audio to my pre . I’ve ordered another cable just in case the simultaneous software update was a coincidence . This month the boiler broke and the washing machine needed replacing

advertisement

Back