advertisement

[WTD] Turntable up to £250

calorgas

Generic middle-aged man
My eldest daughter would like to buy a turntable. She has a specific vintage look in mind which is an older deck with a wooden plinth, so I sent her links to pics of Thorens td150 & 160 which seem to hit the mark but she'll be open to other options. Her budget is up to £250 and preferably would include a usable cartridge at least to get started with. She's based in the centre of Nottingham and doesn't drive so it's either gotta be local or if it can be posted safely then that's also good. It'll be used with a really nice Inca Tech Claymore which I'm donating (sob), speakers yet to be decided.

Anyone with anything suitable?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’d go for a good used P3/RB300 with a 2M Blue.
Vintage suspended decks are too much hassle (although I love them).
Same here tbh. I tried to tempt her firstly with the year-old CA Alva and then a P3 both on here but she was unmoved.

But it's a good point, it needs to be in decent working order and not need a load of tlc. This is partly why I'm asking on here first rather than just getting her to take a punt on something on ebay.

However this is one older tt on ebay that I was suggesting as a possibility, though I know nothing about it other than it looks cute:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11609928...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

@gerlando Thanks for those links, but sadly all the Yorkshire HIFI items are collection only and she doesn't live in York and doesn't drive.

I wouldn't buy a kid a really old and relatively complex turntable. There is more chance of issues with it and if there are it will be harder to deal with. Never mind her dreamy notions of a vintage looking record player. She's a child, what does she know!?

Get her what she needs. A simple, reliable, good sounding record player, and that is a Rega. Lifetime warranty, very little to go wrong and full spares availability if anything does.

@gerlando Thanks for those links, but sadly all the Yorkshire HIFI items are collection only and she doesn't live in York and doesn't drive.
I wouldn't buy an old Rega with R200 arm anyway. If the bias belt snaps, which they all do, it's tricky or expensive to fix. And that's a lot of money for one. I'd want a Planar3/RB300 for that.

I would have thought all of the R200 belts are snapped by now? Didn't know you could fix them though....had one many years ago.

I would have thought all of the R200 belts are snapped by now? Didn't know you could fix them though....had one many years ago.
I think most of them probably have snapped but not all. I serviced a deck for a guy not long ago which still had a functioning original belt. I think it's only a matter of time though.

A friend of mine sells replacement belts. The only place he could find them was the US and they're slightly too long so he supplies a little spacer to take up the slack. He's sold loads. As far as I am aware, he is the only source of these belts but he was saying a while back that he's going to stop doing them as he needs to buy them in bulk and he's not selling that many these days.

Funky red planar 3. Or red revolver (my choice). Summat like that. Not a dull black plank her buddies will scoff at.

That's vintage, even if they don't fit the vintagey look. TD160 then, but is a bit 'Sir Boring Old Fart'. AR wooden plinth one? Kinda midway between.. makes sense to me with the roundy edges softer looks.

Capt

I wouldn't buy a kid a really old and relatively complex turntable. There is more chance of issues with it and if there are it will be harder to deal with. Never mind her dreamy notions of a vintage looking record player. She's a child, what does she know!?

Get her what she needs. A simple, reliable, good sounding record player, and that is a Rega. Lifetime warranty, very little to go wrong and full spares availability if anything does.
I'm not sure where you got the notion that she's a child, and she doesn't need telling what she should like or what must be deemed inappropriate 'for a younger person' by some random old men on the internet - she already has me to do that for her 😅. I offered to put up a wanted advert here on her behalf as there are always people with an accumulation of kit that they may no longer use and I felt there might be a better chance of locating a decent deck in decent order from people on here than taking a punt on an item from an unknown seller on ebay. However I do take the general point about ease of use and potential for fiddly setup on some older decks, and I wouldn't advise her to buy anything that requires tlc or other attention to get it going.

Fortunately someone did read the brief and has pm'd with one option, still open to more ideas.

AR wooden plinth one? Kinda midway between.. makes sense to me with the roundy edges softer looks.

Yep that would also be great option, not sure what the chances are of finding one within budget though?

I'm near Nottingham and there quite often and I also have a TD150 I can build up with a nice ish plinth and lid, it just needs an arm to finish. She is welcome to that for well under her budget but clearly it's not going to be tomorrow if she is wanting it ASAP. Just a thought.

Yep that would also be great option, not sure what the chances are of finding one within budget though?
You should get an AR under £250 no problem, most of them will be in fact. An EB101 should be well under £200.

I don't rate them though. They are very cheaply made and the basic design is poor. An Ariston RD11 or RD11s is massively better built and sounds better. The PSU is very simple, the caps etc can be replaced for about £10. The motor is the same as the LP12 motor but the pulley is different and swapping them is not easy. You can't replace the bearing if it's worn out but most parts for older decks are unobtainable anyway so that's a wash.

Lenco idler drives are well supported by an enthusiast community so most parts are available and they sound good. Arm is fragile and could be better but you're living with it as changing it is very involved.

A Thorens TD150 or similar is pretty good if you find a nice one. Again, not as good as an Ariston but I could live with one. Which I can't say about the AR. The offer from Matt sounds interesting but check the price of an arm and cart for it.

Both an Ariston and Thorens will sound better than an old Rega if you get a good one. For a first turntable I'd still go with the Rega though as it's crazy reliable, simple and sounds good on all of your records. Even a modern P1 is just so damn enjoyable, which is what vinyl should be about.

I forgot to say I also have an unused basic AT cart I can throw in, I think it is the the one Rega rebranded as their Carbon.

advertisement

Back