advertisement

Turntable Repair London recommendations ?

eddie1

pfm Member
I'm looking for a vintage turntable repairer in London - pref South London.
Can anyone recommend someone.
Thanks in advance

What sort of turntable it is would make a lot of difference to any advice given.

Each brand has its own devotees both amateur and professional.

I'm looking for a vintage turntable repairer in London - pref South London.
Can anyone recommend someone.
Thanks in advance

If it is the TD 160/SME 3009 Series II improved that you have for sale in the classifieds, then these are generally an easy DIY fix (with some help from here).

Yes indeed I have discovered that the Thorens TD160 speeds are inaccurate so looking for a service for it as changing the belt has not made a difference

Consistently fast or slow?

It's supposed to have a 16 pole AC synchronous motor so theoretically very hard for it to go at the wrong speed.

If slow might need oiling.

Or the pulley has excessive wear and is undersize.

Or worse it has a 60 Hz pulley rather than a 50Hz one.

Fast - not a clue.

First, check that the belt is running accurately round the crown of the pulley. Too low also results in the belt also rubbing on the speed change fork. In the case of the belt running too low or too high, the motor alignment (i.e. azimuth) wrt the platter spindle needs attention. This can be down to a new belt being tighter or looser than previous. Simply placing the outer platter on upside down and observing the belt going round will let one know if this be a problem. Adjustment is covered in the manual and simply involves adjusting the motor mounting screw that is located between the motor pulley and sub-platter, and then retesting with outer platter on upside down again, repeating as necessary.

Another possibility is that the phase capacitor is failing, which can manifest as inconsistent speed during warm-up, and/or a consistently slow speed. The latter case being due to excessive secondary motor winding phase delay negatively affecting both motor torque and smoothness, i.e. the two motor phases begin working against one another, rather than in synchronization, and therefore slow motor rpm slightly. This is typically an early warning sign of the phase capacitor going off, as when these get really bad the speed is likely to jump round erratically during warm-up, with the deck occasionally running backward upon initial start.

If the belt appears to be running properly on the pulley, suggest trying a single drop of oil in the top bearing sleeve of the motor (just where the motor shaft exits the motor housing), this, before laying blame upon the electrics.

Thanks Craig I will check out what you suggest and see what difference it makes.
Appreciate your help with this.

advertisement

Back