advertisement

Turntable platform?

Ptah

pfm Member
As in 'my other half doesn't want me to put up a proper shelf for it'.

Anyone with experience of isolation platforms from e.g. Avid, Isokinetik, etc? Thanks (ps not Mana)

I think I could do better things with £250 or £400 than buy a shelf (that still needs something to stand on). Does the suspension in your LP12 not work?

I think I could do better things with £250 or £400 than buy a shelf (that still needs something to stand on). Does the suspension in your LP12 not work?

Seriously? Your comment reminds me of a dealer who is able to tell that your system is crap without seeing your room or knowing what your system actually consists of. The only thing he needs to know draw his conclusions is which Linn components (if any) you have in your system. Care to guess which brand he represents? Just to be clear, the example is regarding that one particular (bad) dealer, not the brand itself (which I like) or any other dealers.

Anyway, if your comment was at me, you must have very good ears to be able to judge what I hear from where you are sitting :)

Br,
Teme

P.S. The LP12 suspension works just fine - it's been fettled by someone I think really knows his way around the Sondek (and no, it is not the dealer I referred to above).

You do have to be careful what you sit an LP12 on though. When I placed my old LP12 (trampolin2) on top of my Isoblue rack it absolutely deadened the sound and made it sound muffled.

Is your comment meant to be a joke?
No, it was a comment on the price of a shelf (which still needs something to stand on).

P.S. The LP12 suspension works just fine - it's been fettled by someone I think really knows his way around the Sondek.

Excellent. The platter and attached bits are supposedly well-isolated - so why does it care what it is standing on provided that the support is rigid enough to not wobble about under the plinth? Don't Linn themselves recommend a lightweight support?

Excellent. The platter and attached bits are supposedly well-isolated - so why does it care what it is standing on provided that the support is rigid enough to not wobble about under the plinth? Don't Linn themselves recommend a lightweight support?

In theory, yes. But in practice? Even Linn changes their mind occasionally, don't they? Wasn't soborthane a no-no with the LP12? Yet Linn now uses it on the Trampolin 2 as well as the Urika if I am not mistaken. Weren't DC motors also a no-no? Yet the Radikal is topping the range today.

There is of course a lot of experience and thought behind the recommendations (of e.g what the LP12 should sit on), no doubt. But why shut one's mind from further experimentation? I think Linn also says "if it sounds better, it is better" and recommends trying things out through comparison.

Also, how are you able to draw definitive conclusions without trying and hearing for yourself? See my amended post above with the example of a Linn dealer.

Br,
Teme

Anyone with experience of isolation platforms from e.g. Avid, Isokinetik, etc? Thanks (ps not Mana)
Y not just sandwich different materials together wood,metal,plastic,foam etc. in any order as long as anything dosent completely compress.. and mount it on the wall

Cymbiosis recommend and stock the above TT Shelf.
Use one myself and also recommend it.

Chris N

The now-discontinued VertexAQ Kinabalu platforms are superb. They came in 3 kinds. Ideally, you want a mid-range Super or the top-of the range Hi-Rez, together with the Hi-Rez coupler/de-coupler pyramid sets (for either). But the platforms on their own are excellent. Violently expensive new but £150 will buy you a Super second hand, when they come up. Vertex now produce Leading Edge platforms, in place of the Kinabalu. And they are about £1000 a pop. So... for mere mortals their predecessors are great value. They come with black or light wood frame-surrounds. The pyramid sets fetch about the same.

advertisement

Back