advertisement

Turntable downsizing

I’ve always been a little intrigued by Micro Seiki decks, I repaired a DDX-1000 for an old guy (serious HIFI collector/hoarder) 15 years ago, it needed a full recap and cleaning of the speed adjustment pots... and a new tonearm since he’d just chucked it in the boot along with a heavy Sonab receiver and well... arrived at my house with a mangled SME 3009. As luck would have it, I had an SME 3009 that I’d pulled from dead Hitchi direct drive deck, so I sold that to him and fitted it. It was the first time I’d heard of Micro Seiki, but I was very impressed once I’d got it up and running properly, it sounded great, looked ultra cool and it was very heavily built, it weighed around 10Kg, which is a lot for a skeletal deck. It’s clear they know how to make a good deck, but they’re ultra rare here in the U.K.

If you buy second hand you won’t lose money. I can’t think of a better occasional deck than the Technics disco decks, especially if you buy one with a couple of upgrades (not a great idea when it comes to resale though). AT carts sing on them. They are almost totally faff and maintenance free. I quite like the looks but you may not.

The ultimate 'downsizing' turntable I think. I use a Reson Reca cart & little Vista Audio phono stage on one & it's far better than it ought to be looking at the price alone. I also don't have any mods or 'upgrades' on mine, but I do have an SRM/tech acrylic platter designed for the SL1210, which completely kills the platter ringing of the stock SL1210.

I’ve always been a little intrigued by Micro Seiki decks, I repaired a DDX-1000 for an old guy (serious HIFI collector/hoarder) 15 years ago, it needed a full recap and cleaning of the speed adjustment pots... and a new tonearm since he’d just chucked it in the boot along with a heavy Sonab receiver and well... arrived at my house with a mangled SME 3009. As luck would have it, I had an SME 3009 that I’d pulled from dead Hitchi direct drive deck, so I sold that to him and fitted it. It was the first time I’d heard of Micro Seiki, but I was very impressed once I’d got it up and running properly, it sounded great, looked ultra cool and it was very heavily built, it weighed around 10Kg, which is a lot for a skeletal deck. It’s clear they know how to make a good deck, but they’re ultra rare here in the U.K.

Yes, I've no experience with them before. This is a bit of a tank, around 10-15kg so pretty substantial from the cast aluminum construction. I've not played anything yet but the DD motor does not spin up as fast as I would expect (compared to the DJ Technics I've seen before).

The tonearm has on-the-fly VTA adjustment which is pretty cool.

advertisement

Back