advertisement

Tuning my TDL T-Line 3s

davidsrsb

pfm Member
I have swapped the aging Elac? original tweeters with the recommended Audax TW025A0 soft domes.
I was running the original tweeters with 3 Ohms in series to drop the level after the ferrofluid had dried out.
I didn't have these speakers from new, but suspect that like other TDLs, they were always balanced a bit hot.

Experimenting with REW, I find that 5 Ohms with the grilles on now gives a flat balance.
Sounding really good now, the excess treble was masking the superb transmission line bass

I don't quite understand the effect of the grille. It is not as simple as a just a low pass action. but actually smooths the frequency response curve. I think that this means that it must be damping some of the tweeter surround diffraction and reflection effects

The T-Line series was upmarket on the RTL, they are much deeper and heavier and measure as a true TL single hump impedance. The RTL-3 has a clear reflex double hump.

The tweeter was a 25mm compared with the rather undersized 20mm of the RTLs, so it integrated better.
They were only sold shortly before John Wrights illness and death in the late 90s.

A picture:
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Stereophile-IDX/IDX/90s/Stereophile-1998-03-IDX-119.pdf
Wow $2000 in the US back then!

That’s a model I’m not familiar with. They look like metal dome tweeters same as my Studio 4s. Those in my Studios have a bit of a hard edge but are quite detailed. One of them has been damaged thought it still sounds ok. I did consider replacing them with something else.

Mine are 25DT57 @ 8 ohms. They have aluminium domes and one has a crease thanks to one of my kids :(

advertisement

Back