advertisement

Tubular Bells question (yes, really)

peckhaminterior

The last time I listened to Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield it was 1977 and it was on a tape that I played relentlessly on my dad's mid 70s Grundig tape radio combo. I loved it! And I was six years old. I think it was the music that steered the rest of my life's choices.

Anyway, I remember Mike introducing all his instruments, "Bass guitar", "glokenspiel", "tubular bells!" etc etc. But I've just played an LP that I found in a pile of crappy records and I don't hear him anywhere on it. I know it was 28 years ago but I'll never forget him saying "glockenspiel". So why is he not speaking on my vinyl copy?

Charlie

The 'introductions' were done by Vivian Stanshall and are on the original vinyl. So what record do you have?

Did the quadrophonic mix do it differently?

Paul

if you've never seen the live tubular bells 2 at edinburgh castle, its john gordon sinclair (gregory's girl) who introduces the instruments. fantastic :)

Alan Rickman did the honours on TB2.

Exposed a late 70,s live recording didn't have the voice over. Is that what you are listening to ?

regards
Richard S

Nah, I have the original record. I think the problem is that I couldn't cope with listening to it for more than 5 minutes because it's so awful so I had to take it off. I always thought that the intros came early on. I really don't want to have to listen to the whole thing just to relive the vocals. Oh well, my 1977 memory is good enough.

Charlie

NP: ESP - It's You

Hi

No, end of side one. By the way Patrick I can record the concert at 11 tonight if you like. I recorded Smile for another mate last night.

Cheers

Nick

From memory, there were several versions over the years, even ignoring the recent 25th aniversary and "audiophile" releases. I can't quite remember which one had what, but there were definite differences between...

- Compilations etc such as Exposed
- Boxed set (with Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge and maybe one other?)
- SQ remixed (might be the same as the boxed sets or different - can't remember)
- Quad version

The differences I can remember, but not which one was which etc..

- On one some of the instruments were moved left/right channel
- Different version of hornpipe
- Hornpipe v2 with pissed Viv Stanshall on giving a tour of The Manor Studio (something like "..a 16th century masterpiece, and if I rub a bit off it reveals a 14th century underpeice, completely made of eggshell.." Mad dude.)
- "aircraft noise" in Part II missing
- Attempt at removing some of the whispering in the background
- Missing Viv Stanshall, as advertised.

Virgin records release #1.

Jonathan.

The hornpipe V2 with pissed Viv was definitely on the SQ version.
Viv as MC is on the original 1973 version and the version in the SQ boxed set.
The fourth album in the boxed set was 'Collaborations'

Haven't listened to them in years, just did for research. Prefer the SQ to the original!
Bob

advertisement

Back