advertisement

TT Servicing: Planar 3 / x 2 Technics 1210s

cliffyboy

Exposure Fan
Im based in SE London and need to get my 3 TTs serviced and repaired as they have been rather neglected for a while.

The turntables that require servicing are:

Planar 3
X 2 Technics 1210s

I'm sure I could do it all myself, however time constraints won't allow me too at present. So with this in mind I wondered which dealer you would recommend and which dealer charges reasonable prices.

Furthermore two TTs have issues apart from needing a service which are:

Planar 3: Platter not turning, I believe this to be a motor issue as the motor seems to be vibrating from side to side without spinning the belt, thus platter not spinning. I'm unsure as to what else it could be but any advice greatly appreciated.

Technics 1210: the left channel has gone. I have checked all connections externally and could only assume it maybe an internal issue. I also swapped carts to make sure the cart was not faulty. Again any advice greatly appreciated.

Although I have mentioned dealers, if anyone is keen on taking this on themselves, I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for their time. Local londoners would be preferred however am also willing to drive further afield.

Finally I feel that many items of the service and repairs, are probably bits and pieces that I could buy beforehand to save further money. Is it worth my while possibly buying the following?

Planar 3: New belt, motor and bearing oil?
Technics 1210s: New bearing oil?

As you will probably gather I have never serviced a TT, however I am prepared to give it a go, subject to time, if members feel it would save money, teach me something that will assist in the long run and get my TTs back to full health!

I feel confident that I could probably service the planar however it is the Technics that concerns me more! Plus would I be able to do the required repairs!

So dealer, a member or me doing it personally, any help regarding this I'd be most grateful for!

For the rega all you need is oil and the capacitor on the motor pcb. It's always the cap on the older regas.

Try vinylengine for the manuals, but the SL1200s require a couple of drops of light oil, sewing machine oil if I remember correctly, per year.

Vinylengine also has the Technics service manuals so you can check the wiring to see where the problem might be. Not a lot of choice - either the cables are broken in the arm or it is the RCA connections.

For your Planar 3, Audio Origami do a kit to clean your bearing, and replace the oil, you only have to remove the platter and lift out the spindle, invert the deck to remove the ball bearing - do not lose it, or else!! - clean out the well with supplied buds, replace bearing, apply oil and away you go. You should also seriously consider investing in a white belt; it will improve the sound. Unfortunately I can't help with the motor, but it could be a good time to replace it, too, if time/funds allow. It seems like a fairly straightforward job, reading the Rega instructions on the website. Presumably there isn't a Rega dealer near you?

It won't be the motor - never is. In 40 years of selling and servicing Rega TT's, I've never seen a faulty motor.

Cliffyboy,

It also may not be the capacitor on the pcb, it could be as simple as the glue on the pulley has dried out through neglect / ageing.

Simply try pulling the pulley off the motor shaft, if it comes off easily then just clean the pulley and use one small drop of super glue in the hole and replace the pulley by pushing down on the shaft, firmly but not forcibly.

Obviously any of our dealers can advise on any other issues and upgrades that you can do to an older turntable.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Thanks Guys, I'm getting the impression that giving it a go myself maybe the best option, just need to find the time.

I think I will start on teh Rega, as I have a new cart waiting to be used and can happily live with the rega until time then allows servicing on teh Technics.

So just to cross check, these would be my next steps.

1. As Paul Darwn Recommends - remove pulley to check if glue has dried.
2. Order new White Belt - as advised by fudgemaster
3. Will also lubricate the bearing as advised also by fudgemaster.

BTW fudge, is that kit expensive, is there an alternative, if it is?

Will also downlaod any service manuals to assist me in my first steps.

Thanks again to all and will keep you posted as per my learning curve.

breif update guys:

Technics - sorted - have spoken with Technique repairs in Manchester, who will fully service both and upgrade the RCA cables all in for £130, or if I supply my own cables, £120. They will do the following to them:

Cleaning: PCBs, switches, pitch control, motor starter, platter, exterior and interior housing
Lubrication: platter bearing, switches, pitch control, tone arm asembly, motor starter, platter and hinges
calibration: tone \arm, pitch, pitch scale, anti skate an dtracking.
Additions: repalcing RCA leads and installing two new carts for me too.

Seems like a very good price IMHO and it was just what I was looking for.

Planar 3:

OK checked the uppley on top of the motor and this seems to go up and down - is this normal?????

Also when going to lift the sub platter up, it seems to be resting very low and when fully withdrawn is rather difficult to put back in. The weight of the glass plattyer assist with this, but somethign does nto seem right.

Am still to fully dismantle the deck and will give further updates before hand, however for now have done teh baove.

Will keep you all posted.

If the P3 pulley is securely fixed to the motor shaft, there will be a small up and down movement.

The Rega bearing is a well made unit and once it is removed and lubricated, it will take a few minutes to sink back down. Do not force it or damage may occur.

Cliffboy, the kit from Audio Origami costs £14.99 + £2 p&p. Full details of the kit (Booster Oil turntable main bearing kits) is on their "For Sale" section of their website.

advertisement

Back