advertisement

TT Pops when record held near it.

achaddy

pfm Member
Hi,

Hope someone can offer some advice on an issue I have with my new turntable setup.

I have recently bought a second hand Orbe SE mKII and added an Origin Live Illustrious Tonearm, AT-Art9 cartridge and Tricord Dino Mk3 Phono Stage.

I spent some time setting it up and so far it sounds excellent but..

When I go to place a record on the platter or remove a record I get a number of pops through the amp. I can make it happen just by moving the record close to the spindle and the moving it away. It only seems to be when near the spindle area, if held over the tonearm it doesn't doe it or again over the motor housing. Its obviuosly caused by static but I have never experinced this before when I used to have a Gyro.

Any advice greatly received.

Andy

Assuming the Orbe has plastic arm spacers: is the small earth strap between the subchassis and the arm board in place? If not the subchassis is not grounded and you may get that sort of problems.

No earthing strap fitted to bearing to tonearm
Static charge in vinyl discharging
That's why you hear "pops" through the speakers

Okay, sounds like a possibility.
I upgraded the arm board stand offs to the latest decoupled ones. I did reconnect the earth strap but maybe I haven't actually made a good connection between the two.

Will pull the thing apart again and check:( I have a multimeter so can check continuity.

Well Cheers Guys, as you suggested problem now solved.

Turns out I needed to rub down the area with a bit of sand paper on the subchassis, around where the earth interconnecting lead was bolted to expose some bare metal.

No pops now when placing or removing a record on the turntable.

Happy days:cool:

RCM will remove the source static on your LPs
essential bit of kit if you play records & they sound better as well

I have a Knosti Disco Cleaning thing and have just ordered some L'art Du Son cleaning fluid as the Knosti stuff leaves a residue on the record that clogs the stylus.

advertisement

Back