advertisement

Trout Mask Replica was released 50 Years Ago Today

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Trout Mask Replica was released by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band on June 16th 1969. That makes it 50 years old. I don't play the Frank Zappa produced album that often. But when I do, it remains overwhelming in parts. Here is what David Fricke of Rolling Stone thinks about it. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...LCnK7DuntLpBddmJ3Mv5ZYpGlgT_c_Ab4BRvR8P9kiU84

"The third studio album by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band — still sounds like a tomorrow that has not arrived," writes Fricke. "A music created at a crossroads of sound and language so far distant it continues to defy definitive summation and universal translation. Guitars jut out at improbably severe angles in ice-pick treble, like broken bones slicing through skin ...

"The singing is another primal logic altogether, an extreme in octaves and sustain that goes from hellhound bass to wracked falsetto, the pictorial cut-up frenzy of the lyrics run through archaic Delta-blues vernacular."

Lester Bangs said “Trout Mask stands outside time, trends, fads, hypes … constituting a genre unto itself.” That album “reinvented from the ground up rhythm, melody, harmonics, perhaps what our common narrow parameters have defined as music itself.”

That sounds about right. Didn't the Captain record his vocals without listening to the music through headphones, so he is always just a bit out of time?

Jack

captain-beefheart-trout-mask.jpg

The music from that album could only come from people who look like that , awesome .

It took me ages to get this one. I suspect it wasn’t until I’d ventured well into jazz before it really started making much sense even though I already liked stuff obviously influenced by it (Stump etc). I’ve owned various copies over the years, never an original, currently an early-90s CD and the recent Third Man vinyl. The latter seems to have warmed it up a little and made the rather austere production a bit more accessible, though sadly it isn’t without typical 180g pressing issues (stitching or infill) that impact part of one side.

A great album anyway, one of rock music’s great outliers, and one I’ve eventually made my peace with!

I remember writing to Straight Records for a lyric sheet. The Uk release didn’t have one but the US version did. Got one as well. Happy days indeed and still a record that challenges the listener. Genius!

I first heard it in 70/71 when I borrowed it from my local record library. I would have been about 14 so no real surprise I found it a little tricky. Seeing Beefheart for the first time a year or two later helped, but I still feel it (and maybe he) is touches of genius mixed with a good deal of nonsense.

Mr. Cotton, who was probably the worst-treated out of all the inmates at the Trout Mask House, never cooperated with any of the books written about Beefheart, even the ones by his bandmates. He quit the band/escaped the cult after TMR. But he did this audio interview.

my copy >

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band* ‎– Trout Mask Replica
Label:
Straight ‎– 2MS 2027, Warner Bros. Records ‎– 2MS 2027
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, 180 gram
US
Released:

I haven't played it this year (I think) so I will drag it out and spin them later. I always enjoy this album, although I have to be in the mood. Better get it out of the way before the G-Kid arrives later, she probably will not enjoy it. (wifey hates this album)

I have a 1975 issue on Reprise, and also a CD. Trout Mask Replica and other Captain Beefheart were part of the soundtrack of my teenage and university years, but if I listen now I find it dated and tame - there was much more interesting, and far less pretentious music being written at the time. The one Beefheart LP that I still listen to every now and then is the one that was derided on release - Bluejeans and Moonbeams - partly because it triggers memories of various events at the time.

Mr. Cotton, who was probably the worst-treated out of all the inmates at the Trout Mask House, never cooperated with any of the books written about Beefheart, even the ones by his bandmates. He quit the band/escaped the cult after TMR. But he did this audio interview.

And poor old John French, the drummer, who translated and arranged Beefheart’s music and ideas into something workable never received credit as playing on the album, let alone arranger.

Trout Mask has been in my collection since the mid 70s, loved it from the get go, never had a problem with it.

I must dig it out and have another listen however I must confess that I bought it, tried listening to it a few times then put it away 'cause I thought it was shite!

Heard it once in my twenties and wrote it off as pretentious rubbish with no musical quality.

Tried it again in my forties and liked it less.

I don’t get Zappa either.

Heard it once in my twenties and wrote it off as pretentious rubbish with no musical quality.

Tried it again in my forties and liked it less.

I don’t get Zappa either.

I think it's terrible. Possibly the worst thing Beefheart ever did, whereas I love Clear Spot, Bat Chain, etc. Mind you, I also think Unknown Pleasures is terrible. Apologies for my philistinism.

I’m the opposite, for me TMR is the only Beefheart album I really care about. I've got a few others, including the ones mentioned, but the thing that interests me about TMR is it is such an outlier. A truly unique album. By saying that Metal Machine Music is one of very few solo Lou Reed albums I own!

PS Unknown Pleasures is amazing, obviously. Always has been, always will be.

advertisement

Back