advertisement

[FS] Tron Nucleus Phono Stage (MC)

crimsondonkey

pfm Member
For sale is my Tron Nucleus Phono Stage in black 240V.

IMG_1965
IMG_19653024×2926 1.93 MB

For those that aren’t aware of the model, it was Graham Tricker’s state of the art phono stage at the time and sold for about £3500. Unlike his later models this is all point to point wired with no circuit boards. Not many were made, maybe due to being very labour intensive. I am the second owner from new.

This is set for 100 ohm, suitable for most cartridges. The NOS valves are a matched pair of original Telefunken ECC83’s, diamond based etc; a vintage Mullard yellow label ECF85.

This unit has been significantly upgraded with Jupiter 1 uF 100v copper foil, paper & wax capacitors, Shinkoh & Charcroft Z film resistors and gold wiring by Graeme @Valvebloke (Ampregen) for its previous owner.

No box so collection or meet up in the West Mids area would be best, or Meat-Van if this can be arranged.

Yours for £1350.

To be an MC stage, this near certainly uses SUTs, or possibly a head amp.

That said, has this not come up here before when somebody stated that it has a head amp' circuit (JFETs)????? Whichever, it does mean that it is a two-stage amplifier, the valves being essentially a MM stage.

Valve MC stages are possible, but nightmarish to build and to find valves for that are quiet enough.

To be an MC stage, this near certainly uses SUTs, or possibly a head amp.

That said, has this not come up here before when somebody stated that it has a head amp' circuit (JFETs)????? Whichever, it does mean that it is a two-stage amplifier, the valves being essentially a MM stage.

Valve MC stages are possible, but nightmarish to build and to find valves for that are quiet enough.
Yes GT’s phono amps tend to have a SUT in front of a valve stage. Guess that’s partly why they are so quiet in operation.

@crimsondonkey How would this compare with the Tron Convergence Signature?

Its hard to say as I've not heard those two side by side. What I will say is the Nucleus I'm selling is a very high quality design boasting excellent build quality - point to point wiring (modern units are circuit board based), upgraded caps and resistors, and a set of nos Telefunken tubes. It does sound fabulous and has seen off many other high end alternatives.

Also being a Graham Tricker design the unit is absolutely deathly quiet in operation and is a key component in putting together a system with a very low noise floor to let the micro detail of music flow freely (I have 107db sensitive horns).

advertisement

Back