1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

TRON Convergence Phono Stage - What better testimonial Can You Get?

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by G T Audio, Jul 26, 2020.

1. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

I received this message yesterday and thought it was worth sharing and what better testimonial can you get than from a Mastering Engineer.

Hello Graham,

As well as an interesting week of Mastering (soundtrack written by a Japanese composer for NHK, and a soundtrack for a 1930's French silent movie) I've also had a very frustrating week of listening to phono stages.

I was persuaded to try a solid state phono - a XX XXXXX - on the basis of it being a 'giant killer', according to a review in Stereophile, with 'the best mid-range at any price' - but it was, to my mastering and musical ears, hard and compressed for the most part (full but nasty thuddy bass, narrow classical images - just generally claustrophobic). Switching back to the Convergence was, quite literally, a huge relief.

So - I'm putting my searches to one side now and will wait until your Atlantics are ready. I was intrigued today to see that a Seven Ultimate is for sale for £2,000, but it turned out to be MM only. [
    actually, it's a standard model too]

Your final sentence suits my case exactly. I only have one arm (and likely only ever will do) and I need an MC input for my drt xv-1s. The gain on my Convergence (68dB) is plenty.

All the best, Eric

[​IMG]

2. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

That is some endorsement from someone whose whole career is based on sound quality and reproducing recorded music.

G T Audio likes this.
  3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

That is some endorsement from someone who's using a >£5K cart'.

lazyscott1 likes this.
  4. flapland

flapland pfm Member

I am now a very happy Tron Seven MM user haven't picked up Lurch's on Friday. Its working really well with my Cinemag 1131 fed by a Transfiguration Temper V.

5. essgee

essgee pfm Member

Should that be "having picked up" rather than as previously typed? Damn predictive text, probably?

6. flapland

flapland pfm Member

Indeed it should. I am afraid I can't blame predictive text as my post was written on my desktop. Nor can I blame alcohol as I don't drink before 20:00 very often.

I could blame my poor grammar which I put down to be made to write using the ITA alphabet at 8 however in this case I think I was just rushing and not proof reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_Teaching_Alphabet

:)

Anyway it does stop the phono being a bad not one. ;)

Darren likes this.