advertisement

[FS] Troels Gravesen EKTA MK2 speakers with OCD level upgrades.

Bigman80

Bigbottle Owner
Hi all,

The time has come to make a monumental decision on what i am going to do with my system, and the harsh reality is that there must be sales before purchases. So the first item i am listing for sale are my TOTL TG Ekta MKII speakers.

The speakers were made by Jason Darke of Arke Audio, and were his personal pair. I bought them off him in Feb of 2023, and have been a staunch advocate for both Jason's cabinetry skills, and TG's design philosophy ever since. The purchase of this pair of speakers, and subsequent visitors to my home spawned a ferocious demand for Jason's services in the early part of the year.

Troels Gravesen featured Jasons build on his website, and has since been recommended by the man himself to build cabinets for those who cannot do it themselves, so have no fear regarding the quality of his work.

Inside the high gloss black paint and solid caramel bamboo cabinets lie the most expensive/high performance Ekta crossovers and wiring i have found on TG's website so far. The internal wiring is now SAEC SP-650 PC-Triple C, with CMC solid copper binding posts. The Crossovers as standard are filled with Jansen Superiors. They were changed to have mostly Jantzen Alumen-Z caps in critical positions by Jason, but since they have been in my ownership, every cap (baring the LF cap) is Aluminium Film and Foil, either from Jantzen or WEET.

This proved to be be an expensive decision, but one that seriously elevated the performance.

Attached here is a video of them playing, so you can see them working. *The Townsend bars are not included*

So, the price....

You guys here know that i never take the mickey with pricing, and this time will be no different. Jason estimates that this particular build would cost around £6.5K - £7k were he to be asked for it. So, knowing how much they owe me, and how much I need from them, i am asking £3500.00 , which i think is exceptionally good value for what are truly outstanding speakers with a completely indulgent spec, that you are highly unlikely to find anywhere else!

Any audition here is absolutely welcomed, but i am not travelling with them. The cabinets are extremely heavy (35kgs each IIRC) and i already have two herniated discs!

6e700727eae5092d97ec61105316993d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231112/b95d241d27c3e1
171363a30ef8eaffce.jpg

These are SERIOUS speakers. Come and have a listen. I'm off this week 👍

I can't vouch for this pair but can say the TG speakers are quality. I have a pair of Illuminator 4 and in my opinion they sound very good , These with the combination of a quality build using quality components designed by TG , They must sound great.

I can't vouch for this pair but can say the TG speakers are quality. I have a pair of Illuminator 4 and in my opinion they sound very good , These with the combination of a quality build using quality components designed by TG , They must sound great.

Those Illuminator 4 must be very special indeed.

The EKTA are by far the best speakers I have had here.

Yamaha NS1000, Q Acoustic Concept 500, Mordant Short Performance 880....they were not in the same ball park. The drivers in these Etka are used in £20k+ speakers by Wilson, and you can hear the quality.

Stunning speakers that have caused an addiction to Troels designs.

I've now heard CNO-4, 851, EKTA MK2, Illuminator 7751 and they are ALL exceptional speakers.

Anyone is welcome here for a listen to these, even if you're considering something else...just to see what you can get for the money.

These look amazing and no doubt sound fantastic, having sold my crusader 2’s to buy some speakers that I demoed last week and since the seller has put that on hold due to an emergency 🤷‍♂️I’m now looking elsewhere just in case ( hate being left in limbo) . My budget was £600-800 , within a day that went to £1k-1.5 , 3 days in and it’s now at £2k-2.5 and then you go and list these!! How much are kidneys worth these days ? 🤣
Stunning speakers

These look amazing and no doubt sound fantastic, having sold my crusader 2’s to buy some speakers that I demoed last week and since the seller has put that on hold due to an emergency 🤷‍♂️I’m now looking elsewhere just in case ( hate being left in limbo) . My budget was £600-800 , within a day that went to £1k-1.5 , 3 days in and it’s now at £2k-2.5 and then you go and list these!! How much are kidneys worth these days ? 🤣
Stunning speakers
Just another £dB or so and you're there!

Did I just invent a new unit of measurement? 😂

I have a pair of the TG Super Mini-Monitors and these are seriously tempting but for the post Christmas osterity.

How much do the bars affect the sound quality ?

Osterity?
looked it up;Austerity includes doing away with earthly pleasures!
sub text;’making do with a Bose radio?
Can lend you a pair of Leak Sandwiches…..

Is Mrs Oli getting a %?

Stunning speakers

You won't find anything that gets close to these for the asking price. I am dead serious about this as i tried incredibly hard to get to this level with about £2-2.5k and failed spectacularly. Thankfully Jason (Arke Audio) wanted an Avalon BT2 preamp/Phonostage off me and we managed to do a PX deal. I would not have been able to buy them as a straight cash buy.

The price here wouldn't even cover the materials to build the standard Ekta MK2....the upgrades cost me around £500-600 on top of the deal to actually take ownership of them.

Happy to hold these for someone if they pay a hefty deposit. I am not in a rush.

I have a pair of the TG Super Mini-Monitors and these are seriously tempting but for the post Christmas osterity.

How much do the bars affect the sound quality ?
In my room, massively. Sprung T&G floor. The LF would not work in here without them. Worth EVERY penny whenever i have heard speakers with or without them.

What is the sensitivity of these ?
what kind of amps are needed to drive them?
They are somewhere around 86-88db. They do require a bit of amplification as i believe they get down near to 3 Ohms, but i'll have to check. No issues at all with the Neurochrome 686 i am selling, or a Purifi amp. Thats all i have used on them here.

These speakers are simply wonderful. It was listening to this pair in Oli’s system that made me decide I had to have a pair also. I had heard the concept 500 at the same time and whilst they were good, they were just outclassed in almost every way by the Ektas.
Mine just being delight every time I listen. They have delivered more and more as my system has improved over the last year.
At this price these are a stone cold bargain and would not be regretted.

The dimensions of the speakers could be useful.... They almost look like they are scraping the ceiling in some of those pics!

advertisement

Back