advertisement

Trilok Gurtu

Seen Trilok live on a few occasions, with his own band in 1995 and 1997, and with Oregon at Bristol way back in 1990 - excellent stuff.
I recall he had a guitarist called David Gilmore in his group in '95, the girl sat next to me said "oh he was the guitarist in Pink Floyd" - I said "no that is Dave Gilmour !"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmore
Amazing the way Trilok plays all his kit half kneeling on the floor. Think I would get cramp quickly !
Surprised myself how many CD's of both his own groups and with others such as Jan Garbarek, John McLaughlin and Shankar I have in my collection. Recommended for those who like Indian percussion.

Saw him live thrice over the last 2 years in London - with Jan Garbarek, John McLaughlin and a fantastic young Turkish pianist whose name fails me...
He's pretty good live.
But I really like some of his older work with his mother - Indian classical vocalist Shobha Gurtu
Definitely check that out

Will do guys, been playing through his stuff on Spotify most of the day along with Oregon, certainly has got a great vibe to it and very well recorded!

advertisement

Back