advertisement

Trevor Tomkins - great British jazz drummer

pickwickpapers

pfm Member
apologies if something's already been posted here, but a jazz in britain forth-coming release:

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/for-future-reference

brings with it the sad news that Trevor Tomkins passed away last November.

A truly great British drummer - not high profile of course.
he's fantastic on the Gilgamesh fusion-y album from the 70s, Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into.

I studied with him briefly and he was a very nice bloke.

the release above, going by the sample track, is excellent straight-ahead stuff - and ample proof in contradicting the 'only americans can swing' wazzocks I'd say.

hzrFR8W.jpg

Sad news, and as you indicate not particularly high on many a radar. I reckon Nick Mason studied his style when he played with Rendell & Garrick - the drumming on 'Set the controls...' was surely apeing Dusk Fire?

Another star of the drum world departed early February.
Butch Miles, a man of many parts but I remember him best
propelling the Basie band with style and great enthusiasm.Plenty of clips on YouTube.

think I saw Butch Miles with someone, trying to remember who ... Brubeck? probably not. But sad to hear he's gone.

Caliente - I could swear I posted a reply to your one, but it's not showing so ... :

Mason is interesting - early on his kit and style was very 'big band' jazz ... Gawd knows what had happened by the time of the Division Bell and their mega-tours, as he'd become a click-tracking thudder by then.
Wonder what he's like now the saucerful of secrets? Hopefully rediscovered some of his 'feel'.

yes @ Jakob: butch Miles- apparently it would have been Brubeck, having checked out his wiki page.

putting an order in for the Tomkins release shortly.

advertisement

Back