advertisement

Transcriptors Skeleton - Help!

I must say that it's really touching that you are getting your old man's system going. Let's all hope that our enthusiasm outlasts us.

I must say that it's really touching that you are getting your old man's system going. Let's all hope that our enthusiasm outlasts us.

The main digital system has always been going. The analog bits of the system was moved over into the barn so that he could have an independent vinyl system with his Quads. However we turned that into an AirBNB and decided to move the turntable and vinyl back to the house simply because of their value. We need to catalogue the records but I expect there will be a few quite valuable pieces in amongst the collection, hence wanting to keep it safe. We'd probably notice if someone tried to walk out the door with one of the Quad ESL's, a priceless LP perhaps not.

As I've said before I've been a musician for 25+ years and I work with AV on a daily basis so I have a good understanding of how it all works, I even have my own half decent setup at home cobbled together from bits of his un-used kit. It's just my dad liked to tinker, make his own kit and build systems that shouldn't work, but do - I realised the other night why my PC/Hi-Fi/Simulator setup is so weirdly complex!

In this instance my step mum wanted the turntable to be setup otherwise it's just a very expensive ornament. And dad specifically told her to listen to his vinyl when he was gone...

And dad specifically told her to listen to his vinyl when he was gone...

I love that. I have many records recommended by, or given to me by, or inherited from specific people, some dead, and the experience of taking one off the shelf, sometimes reading inscriptions from the person on or inside the cover, and the feelings that this generates, can not be provided by clicking a button on a screen. Records, like books, are sacred.

advertisement

Back