advertisement

Train nationalisation or not ?

They maintained the line.

I’m very interested in your line of questioning though as i’ve seen this before many times. Ultimately the implication is that there’s no right to be critical because you haven’t pursued all the lines available to you and if you did then you can’t have done so properly because if you’d done so then the outcome would have definitely been different if you were correct and thus your critique cannot be correct. It’s a line which assumes all these institutions work brilliantly, which they patently do not. It’s a line that assumes being disabled gives you loads of time to endlessly complain so you’ve no excuse if the exhaustion brought on by your health gets in the way. The phrase I’m grasping for here is something akin to victim blaming.

If you have a different intent to that then I’m sorry for misinterpreting but it would help if you explain where you’re going with this because that’s what it looks like at present.

A wise move. People should be concerned about saying the wrong thing, especially when they elected to misrepresent what was said in the first place.
You are very hard to talk to. Instant negative reaction. I could not be further from victim blaming but you go on believing everyone’s against you. It seems to be going so well for you too.

My intent was to be be constructive. You moved the dialogue so far from general complaints to the specifics of your situation it seemed relevant to see what had happened and assist you to navigate the relevant bodies. But there is no point engaging with you.

I started off with an email to trainline and they pointed fingers, we then contacted Hull, they pointed fingers. For 40 quid, it was already too much hassle. My thoughts are we should be able to present our ticket at the destination and get an immediate refund with whoever is selling trickets at the station counter. That will never happen, particularly when it is so fragmented with private companies.

It doesn't matter what the entitlement is and whether I was misinformed or lied to, I'm not getting involved with UK trains any more. I just use National Express once or twice a year when I have no car.
Two minutes filling a form in at most.
Your loss.
And National Express!
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Delay Repay make it clear that the way you get compensation differs from company to company.
With some it’s automatic with others you need to apply online or by downloadable form.

The last time I used London Northwestern's Delay Repay website they'd coded it so that there were white buttons on a white background thus preventing you from actually claiming anything unless you highlighted all the text so you could see the buttons. I now lease an electric car and pay less in fuel, insurance and maintenance than my train ticket used to cost. Yet if I wanted to commute by train to work (40km) I'd have to use two different mainlines to go into London and then back out.

No delay compensation, but a useful tip to save having to deal with The Shitheads at Transpennine Express or wherever is always to buy tickets with PayPal. A cancellation cost me attending a friend’s funeral last year and The Shitheads at Transpennine Express rejected my claim despite indisputable evidence, so I just opened a PayPal dispute and the full cash was back in my account in minutes. Doesn’t compensate in any way, but it meant I didn’t have to deal with an arsehole on the phone.

The last time I used London Northwestern's Delay Repay website they'd coded it so that there were white buttons on a white background
“It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me,” said Zaphod “Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it."

Two minutes filling a form in at most.
Your loss.
And National Express!
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Not really, I had no idea what form, under which company or which regulator, why would I? And so trying to find out where to start, several phone calls on hold, it was already far longer than 2 minutes. And only £40. I'm better off woking an extra hour than I am fcvking about like that.

You choose not to mention the real loss that I mentioned and that was the plane tickets. £400 down the pan, nowhere to go at all with that one. This was the bit that pissed me off the most. There were no other flights that day and the next day was about £300 each, so we had to PAY for a train back to Hull and collect my car and drive back to Strasbourg to get back in time and for a fair price.

If you think I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face, then whatever. I'm just more than happy that this kind of shit is not going to happen to me again. Trains in UK will never again make me miss my flight.

Delay Repay make it clear that the way you get compensation differs from company to company.
With some it’s automatic with others you need to apply online or by downloadable form.

There's more than 2 minutes reading all that and the links that follow that are relevant to a particular situation.

Whats wrong with going to the ticket office and getting it sorted as soon as you get off your train? Why the barriers?

It's funny to see that one way of defending the UK train service is that the PFM veteran users of 'Delay Repay' claim to never have a problem with it...haha! Do you use this part of the service regularly then?

I no longer commute to London but on average I reckon I was claiming back about 10% of my season ticket through delay repays. At least once a week. I've lost count of the not quite delayed enough journeys that you couldn't claim for but were no less inconvenient.

I no longer commute to London but on average I reckon I was claiming back about 10% of my season ticket through delay repays. At least once a week. I've lost count of the not quite delayed enough journeys that you couldn't claim for but were no less inconvenient.
Crikey!

We've got to go to London on one of the strike days; what amazed me id that it's cheaper to drive down the evening before and stay in a hotel than the train would have been. Not the Savoy obvs.

advertisement

Back