advertisement

[WTD] Townshend Elite Rock 2 Turntable

I'd be interested to know about all of these problems with the original Elite Cranfield Rock. The Rock 2 was built by Max T after he bought the rights to the design and he then significantly reduced the cost of production. This was achieved in the main by the use of plaster of paris instead of the granitan compound as developed by Prof Jack Dinsdale at Cranfield. Dinsdale was unable to use his own bearing design because Cranfield had already sold the rights to Garrard several years before (which they never got around to using) so he then designed the massive bearing that we find on the Cranfield. The motor does get very hot, but mine has never failed so presumably it was designed that way. The build quality of the Cranfield Rock is extraordinary. It is worth remembering that in 1980 it sold for three times the price of a Linn LP12, which is why so few were actually sold. You appear not to like the Cranfield Rock. Apart from it's scarcity, why do you not like it?

Hi, im afraid you get me totally wrong, I absolutely DO love the Cranfield Rock. In fact I.love the Rocks in all their forms, and scarcity doesn't worry me at all - I have rebuilt and have here the Cranfield prototype used to demonstrate the Rocks abilities way back in the late 70's - it doesn't get much scarcer than that - it's a one-off, and most people don't even know (because they haven't seen it, let alone had it all apart like I have) that it was direct drive, not belt drive and actually has that (bought by Garrard) bearing!....ALL Rocks, (apart possibly from the 2, I guess, are scarce). But the Cranfield Rock, unfortunately, was hampered with issues which are well known about and were reported at the time, with wow and flutter issues - down in my opinion possibly more to poor QC in manufacturing, than anything else. The bearings were prone to seizing when they got warm due to issues with the tolerances, and the motors, despite yours not burning out, did, due to getting hot from the seizing bearings. Even if they didn't, temperature effected the speed! You may well have gotten lucky, but pretty much 95% of all Cranfields that come to me have problems of some sort with either the motor or bearing (normally both!). I know of 6 or 7 out there that are still running though. Nonetheless, It's well written and understood that the build quality was 'heavy duty', and I know all about the 'massive', 'dense' materials involved, but the build wasn't consistent and the project, which Max sponsored very nearly went bankrupt! Max made the first batch of Rock 2's with what was left. That's exactly why the deck was paired down to make the Rock 2, because basically they'd lost all the money and needed to recover it!! Max was always thankful to all involved and always credited Jack, his students and John Bugge, (who developed the Excalibur) and they remained friends right until the end, as do i - its been a passion of mine virtually my whole life! ...Hence, Max took over and redesigned/made the Rock 2 because it was simpler to make, always with Jack and his students original design premise in mind and often Jacks help. That's exactly why Max revisited the original style arm much later on towards the end of Rock 7 production. I have here both a late version and the original version on the Cranfield prototype. I actually also have here Jacks original patent application documentation for not only the hydro bearing design but also the trough design, (which includes details never actually used in any production Rocks) and a later one from both Max and Jack in the late 80's. This was for the Excalibur arm that compensates for tracking as it traverses the record which Max had working on the Rock Reference Master and of which the prototype, remains at the factory to this day, Max revisiting it from time to time with more modern tech, right up until his untimely passing. Back to the Cranfield Rock, and I'm really pleased yours still works, I'd love to see pictures and hear it one day. The sole reason I don't recommend them (accept to the very committed) is that they often fetch large sums of money but still require lots of work, which is fine if you are a hobbyist and have access to the equipment needed to refurb them and are able to do it yourself. Otherwise, it's a lot of money for a non-working turntable, a lot of the time and at that point a Rock 2 is much easier to recommend to someone who just wants to listen rather than fettle, not only due to its ease of repair, but because of its abundance, spares are available, as well as it using the more simple, still possible to get hold of, ubiquitous Airpax motor - no, its not the best but it does have longevity and with a decent psu behind it and the Rock bearing sounds fine. It's also been a long long time since I saw a fully standard Cranfield with an Excalibur and all it's correct parts, but I'm sure there's some still out there - at least I hope so. I hope that clarifies the fact that I don't dislike it at all!!!

i would appear that there are early and late cranfield rocks,google images show some with round tonearm boards and some with square ones.

i would appear that there are early and late cranfield rocks,google images show some with round tonearm boards and some with square ones.

I think you'll find the original Cranfield only had a round armboard. As I stated above, it's hard to find one now that hasn't been modified after all these years, so those with 'rectangular' armboards have no doubt, been modified, to fit later arms, including later Excaliburs and the plinth has been redrilled. I can only see one on Google images that is totally original, with its original style Excalibur and arm raiser. And even that doesn't have its motor cover on. If you send me the pictures of the one you're considering, I'll happy give you my thoughts on it's originality. Operationally of course, I'd need to see it in the flesh.... so thats harder. But if you don't mind doing a bit of work, even to maintain it running, then go for it. Your original post said it was a Rock 2 you wanted, though! By the way, that Rock 2 on ebay with no arm that was posted on this chain previously, has a Cranfield Rock trough on it, not an Avalon trough as I thought at first glance, and a remade clamp. But it doesn't look a bad buy other than that at the price. I DO have Rock 2 troughs here to sell, if you needed one, to make it correct.
Cheers
Matt

advertisement

Back