advertisement

Townshend eei pre amp and mono power amps

Colinb

pfm Member
I have just picked up a townshend EEi preamp and pair of mono 85w power amps (serial nos 2a and 2b) with the matching massive power supply. Looks as if they are dated 1981. Anybody have any info on these? I will contact Townshend Audio on Monday but just wondered if anybody has any experience of these and how they sound.

Thanks

Colin

All I remember is that the EE bit stood for Elite Electronics (possibly International). I remember buying an Elite cartridge and adjustment gauge thingy too but I can´t put a face to the amps.

If it's the one with sloping case I always dreamt of having one back in the day.

I've got a 1981 full review here if you want a scan.

That's the ones. Unusual styling and not pretty! The power supply weighs a ton.
A scan of the article would be great. Going to clean them up and see if they need any repairs and a recap.

The pre came out (possibly) a year to eighteen months before the monos. The pre was very good and very flexible/accommodating for a wide range of cartridges, so we often used it for turntable demonstrations and the like. Only downside was that it is so small and light that it was always falling over or sliding off the shelf. In normal use it would be fine.

Unfortunately, the monos took so long to be introduced that the interest we had generated had faded away and they were nowhere as popular as the pre. Sounded good though.

Yes, the pre does look pretty flexible. 3 settings for mm and three for mc plus a switch for high or low gain. The power supply for the pre is almost as heavy as the pre itself so I can imagine it would easily drag it over

Our pre and then the monos were amongst the very first that Max produced, so those you have might be our demo set.

I had the pre with an Electrocompient 25W power amp it was a great pre for it's day.

Elite_zps9defeb34.jpg

Thanks for the scan Robert. Interesting reading. Looks as if I might be in for a bit of cap rolling once it is all up and running.

I still use the preamp (mine is a Mk II version). Great little number. However, open it up and check the inside before you switch it on. The power switch has a long steel rod from the front of the preamp to the switch at the rear. This rod has a crank in it and it is held in place by shrink wrap which will have degraded over the years. This permits the cranked steel rod to fall to one side in the case and it can then short out the internals!!! Easily fixed with new shrink wrap or a cable tie.

Bit of a revival but I'm interested to know how this worked out? Did you get these amps going and how did you find them?

advertisement

Back