1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tour of Supercapacitor powered Ciunas devices

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ciunas Audio, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Ciunas Audio

Ciunas Audio Trade: Ciunas Audio

As stated I have moved away from battery power to supercapacitor power for my audio devices & am starting a tour of both the standalone supercap PS (SUPER-PS) & supercap powered audio devices (ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF).

This thread is solely about these supercapacitor audio devices - please post your interest, questions & eventually your impressions here.

The difference between battery power & supercapacitor power is detailed on my webpage here
    Prices & introductory offers will be on my website soon

I use 350Farad Maxwell/Nesscap supercapacitors & the important audible difference between these & other supercapacitor PSes is that the power is direct from the supercapacitors, not from a voltage regulator after the supercapacitors. I discovered this was audibly significant when I first started using battery power internally to power my audio devices. The voltage regulators (yes, even the best LT3045) seem to introduce some stability or dynamic noise issues in their power output which the direct batteries & direct supercapacitors don't.

As I said, this applies to audio devices internally powered in this way - It will be interesting to see any impressions which may be posted here.

We can discuss these matters here if people wish?

I have a list of names submitted already in anticipation of the supercap ISO-DAC tour
    Timola
    Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
    davidjt
    Sams
    00fiete - ISO-DAC
    easton
    Robby
    Beammeup

Please indicate interest & which device is of interest - ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC, ISO-SPDIF

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

ISO dac with improved ps for me please, have high hopes!

3. Ciunas Audio

Thanks Paul - I have edited the first post - if editing remains open for me on this first post I will put selections & any new names there

4. 00fiete

00fiete Active Member

Good morning John,
    ISO-DAC for me, too

5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

ISO-DAC please John

6. Ciunas Audio

OK, the way I wish to do this is for people to copy the list below & add their name and/or device to the list - that way it keeps my list management efforts to a minimum :)

supercap ISO-DAC tour
    Timola
    Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
    davidjt - ISO-DAC
    Sams
    00fiete - ISO-DAC
    easton
    Robby
    Beammeup

Please indicate interest & which device is of interest - ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC, ISO-SPDIF

7. SamS

SamS pfm Member

ISO-DAC for me please John, but I am also interested in having a go with the ISO-SPDIF as supposedly my current Hugo responds better to coax than USB and I would like to test this out.

supercap ISO-DAC tour
    Timola
    Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
    davidjt - ISO-DAC
    SamS- ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF (not necessarily at the same time)
    00fiete - ISO-DAC
    easton
    Robby
    Beammeup

Thanks
    Sam

8. Robby

Robby pfm Member

ISO-DAC for me please.

9. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

supercap ISO-DAC tour
    Timola
    Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
    davidjt - ISO-DAC
    00fiete - ISO-DAC
    easton
    Robby - ISO-DAC
    Beammeup - ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF (again not at the same time)

The ISO-SPDIF will be great to use with some old SPDIF only DACs

Thanks.

10. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

Hi John

Not sure if you are willing to go into technical detail, just wondering how you maintain charge in the supercaps. I don't imagine you've taken the overly elaborate path taken by Uptone over swapping banks of caps as they deplete and charging the offline bank. Are you floating a regulated voltage across the caps?

Thanks
    Mark

11. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Supercap Iso-DAC for me please, or even better a Supercap Iso-Dac with HUB as that would drop my box count from three to 1...

12. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The values I've seen for ESR seem to be at a few kHz. What's the value at, say, 1MHz?

13. Ciunas Audio

Sure, Mark
    but I'll bring this question & answer over to the supercapacitor PS thread, as I wanted to not confuse the two its already seen in audiomisc posts on the supercap PS thread

14. Ciunas Audio

Can you add your requirements to your name on the list please - it will help me see whats needed?

15. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

Noted - thanks John.

16. eastone

eastone pfm Member

17. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

John,

I gather from the original thread that France has become problematic. As I'm heading back there in a few weeks, better put me at the bottom of the list.
    (Back at the end of April.) Thanks.

18. Ciunas Audio

OK David

supercap ISO-DAC tour
    Timola
    Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
    00fiete - ISO-DAC
    easton
    Robby - ISO-DAC
    Beammeup - ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF (again not at the same time)
    davidjt - ISO-DAC

19. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Hi John,

I'd like to try the supercap ISO-SPDIF too please, I can feel a full set of Ciunas spdifs coming on!

20. Ciunas Audio

Sure Steve - just add your name & device to the list