advertisement

Toroidy Transformer

azman

pfm Member
I have NAP250 boards laying around. Bought during covid in 2020 IIRC from Simon Hamnet through ebay.

So I bought 300VA transformer from element14 and made two mono 140 using these boards, with DIY minicap6. But the transformers from element14 are noisy..It hum mechanically. Can hear the hum from listening position if no music playing.

So I contacted Toroidy to get quotation. The spec is 240v primary, 30v-0-30v secondary, diameter is 130mm, height is 55mm, 400VA capacity, audio-grade.

The quotation came out 68.25 Euro each. Shipping cost from poland to Malaysia is Euro 96 for both. So on 10th August I placed the order to Toroidy. They said the lead time will be 35 days due to busy time. But on 19th August, parcel received safely at my door step with beautiful transformers, thanks to Toroidy for speedy work. Date of manufactured was on 10th August (the same day to the order made).

After assembly, tested the voltage, 30.1 volt AC at the output for both. After minicap 6 got 42.3 and 42.6 volt respectively.

This transformers is silent and free from vibration. I can say it is good quality. Here is some photos. Surely I can buy more from them in the future.

Toroidy1 by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Toroidy 2 by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

NAP140s by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Transformers look like a nice build and at a good price. Potted cores I think plus electrostatic screens?

Be interested to hear how you think these transformers affect the sound quality if you have any previous transformers to compare them with?

Hello all,
Yes, Toroidy was a very great factory , of excellent and tailor-made transformers.
you can configure all the parameters, and ask for marking the beginning /ending of winding(phase)
For me its the best, the tranformers used by Naim(Talema, and H.F.) was meduim quality.
They have many different quality...i use only the Suprem Audio grade V2.
I have try a 1000VA on a Hicap...and very vey impressive

https://sklep.toroidy.pl/en_US/c/Toroidal-transformers-SUPREME-AUDIO-GRADE-V2/99

regards

Charles

Transformers look like a nice build and at a good price. Potted cores I think plus electrostatic screens?

Be interested to hear how you think these transformers affect the sound quality if you have any previous transformers to compare them with?
Hi,
During the old trafo, the top end was shouting at at face, so I reduced the tweeter level a bit to balance the sound.

New Toroidy, same bass slam, but the top end now more quiet. So I raised back the tweeter a bit and the sound more snappy and clean. I don't know why but the whole presentation now more smooth and calm.

Thanks

248V in my condo at 10pm and my unit is a long way from the substation.
In my office we were regularly reaching 258V and the UPS were going offline due to overvoltage. I had to make an official complaint

In my house I get 243 to 245 during day time...and 235..237 between 7pm to 12pm.

My is the same and buying general purpose 'off the shelf' transformers is just a waste of time and money as most, if not all have 0-115v 0-115v or 230v primaries, more than 10v below my mains so the secondary voltages are just to high for a given DC volt target. I now have all my transformers made to measure.

Would you be able to tell me what the yellow-green wire "0" is for? I tried contacting Toroidy but they didn't tell me how to hook that up properly since my original transformers didn't have this wire. Apparently it is the output of the electrical shield... Where do I hook this up to?

Would you be able to tell me what the yellow-green wire "0" is for? I tried contacting Toroidy but they didn't tell me how to hook that up properly since my original transformers didn't have this wire. Apparently it is the output of the electrical shield... Where do I hook this up to?
I connect it direct to earth.

Regards

Richard

I can confirm that all my transformers by Toroidy are silent (used in NAP clones etc.).

Thanks for letting me know - so any ground on the chassis or directly to the ground/earth on the 3 prong input from AC will work? Not sure why Toroidy couldn't have just said that! Cheers!
I’m not a qualified EE but I connect the mains earth to the base plate (via a 4mm brass bolt) in the Modushop cases and connect the shields to that directly.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back