advertisement

Tories lose A50 case!

Tony L

Administrator
Yes! May loses! A very good day for democratic process. The downside is the devolved powers (e.g. Scotland) appear not have power to overrule, though I need more detail to fully understand that one.

Anyway a huge, huge embarrassment for the Tories and yet another example of how they thought none of this stuff through before embarking on Cameron's Brexit PR stunt. A shower of clowns.

I wonder if the May government is not secretly happy about this decision. So on the one hand they can show that they tried to go along with the democratic Brexit referendum, but in practice there will never be a Brexit.

I wonder if the May government is not secretly happy about this decision. So on the one hand they can show that they tried to go along with the democratic Brexit referendum, but in practice there will never be a Brexit.

Once A50 is triggered, and it still looks like it will be, the plug has been pulled and we just spiral down the drain. Labour are apparently tabling an amendment that enshrines workers rights and requires a "meaningful" vote on the outcome, the Lib Dems want a second referendum on the outcome, and the SNP are now tabling 50 "substantive" amendments. I'm not sure how any of this is really possible as A50 is as I understand it a one hit self-immolation button, it has no 'safe word' one can shout mid-way through the process.

Once A50 is triggered, and it still looks like it will be, the plug has been pulled and we just spiral down the drain. Labour are apparently tabling an amendment that enshrines workers rights and requires a "meaningful" vote on the outcome. Lib Dems want a second referendum on the outcome, and the SNP are tabling 50 "substantive" ammendments. I'm not sure how any of this is really possible as A50 is as I understand it a one hit self-immolation button, it has no 'safe word' one can shout mid-way through the process.

There is a legal challenge going on at the moment trying to determine whether or not A50 is revocable.

There is a legal challenge going on at the moment trying to determine whether or not A50 is revocable.

Article 50 is actually very short, just a couple of paragraphs (link), the implication being that once pressed the only way to reverse-out is to rejoin via A49, which would amost certainly result in a less good deal than we have now!

I was quite surprised at the tories (post cameron) being just seemingly happy to accept the decision..

Quite. Win win for the Nasty party.

Quite. Win win for the Nasty party.

So you think that they actually don't want Brexit after all? I'd be bloody delighted if the whole thing was reversed, but it doesn't seem very likely.

Instead we're in for years and years and years of arguments, negotiations, and general wrangling, to the point that even the most right-wing nutter in UKIP may live to rue the day that bloody referendum was carried out.

So you think that they actually don't want Brexit after all? I'd be bloody delighted if the whole thing was reversed, but it doesn't seem very likely.

Instead we're in for years and years and years of arguments, negotiations, and general wrangling, to the point that even the most right-wing nutter in UKIP may live to rue the day that bloody referendum was carried out.

We are where we are. The alternate is to allow May and her shower of clowns to quietly torch our rights and future prospects in a race to the hard-right bottom. We need to intensely scrutinise and argue for every single right, benefit and liberty that is being placed in jeopardy by this ongoing Tory stupidity. May's obvious desire for the silence of a dictatorship must be opposed at every stage. We have an absolute right to know what the f*** these clowns are doing right down to the micro-detail. This is what parliament is for!

To a certain extent, I am disappointed with this outcome. For the past few weeks there has been plenty of coverage about an act of parliament for Art. 50, and only Tim Fallon has been vociferously opposed to voting it through. Corbyn is telling his MP's to vote for it, hopefully loads of them don't oblige.

Ergo, at this stage, the SC judgment does little to change what was already in motion in the background, merely confirms it. Had the SC adjudged that the devolved assemblies should have had involvement, then that would have been a vastly more significant defeat for that bloody horrible witch, Theresa May.

The only positive I can take from this - given that the groundwork for a vote was already underway and that it's likely to get through Parliament quite easily is that the decision hopefully reduces the chance of future dictatorship-like govt taking hold in UK, which is an important precedent.

I believe that the majority of the conservative party did not want to leave, including Theresa May.

I believe she is going for it because if she does not, the nasty party will lose votes to UKIP, giving Labour a chance.

Its all about winning elections, not doing the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all about winning elections, not doing the right thing.

Indeed. For a long while now it has been abundantly clear the modern Conservative Party will act directly against the national interest to get themselves to the feeding trough. I can not think of any UK government in my lifetime that has been so destructive to the national interest, the damage they have done in eighteen months is barely comprehensible. They are as bad in their own way as the US Republican Party.

advertisement

Back