advertisement

Top tip for Zenith and Phoenix USB users

MarkieW

pfm Member
I had set up my system just right, speaker position, component choice, tweaks etc. Really happy with it, no urge to upgrade at all. Then I moved house. Once I set up my equipment again, it had lost its magic. Hmmm just speaker positioning/different room shape I thought, but after a while I realised that wasn't it. I wasn't enjoying listening to the music at all. Something was off.

In setting it all up, I had done everything as before, except a couple of chassis grounding wires on the two Innuos products. I finally got round to putting them back, suddenly, WOW! its back. Two little silver wires from one of the case screws on the side to the earth point on my PSM156 made all the difference. I've spent the whole afternoon listening to music again.

Bass was boomy and flabby before. Now its tightened up again and in proportion. Focus of the music is better. Details arent sharp and cutting, just detailed.

If you have both a Zenith and Phoenix USB reclocker, try it. Just undo one of the small screws on the side and screw a wire to the side of the case. Then back to an earth point. Not attractive but effective

errrr.....
20230601-004717.jpg

I can't speak for Innuos equipment but I have experienced beneficial results connecting extra earths back to my Puritan PSM136. Alternatively the results are even greater connecting the same components to my Puritan Groundmaster City.

I had set up my system just right, speaker position, component choice, tweaks etc. Really happy with it, no urge to upgrade at all. Then I moved house. Once I set up my equipment again, it had lost its magic. Hmmm just speaker positioning/different room shape I thought, but after a while I realised that wasn't it. I wasn't enjoying listening to the music at all. Something was off.

In setting it all up, I had done everything as before, except a couple of chassis grounding wires on the two Innuos products. I finally got round to putting them back, suddenly, WOW! its back. Two little silver wires from one of the case screws on the side to the earth point on my PSM156 made all the difference. I've spent the whole afternoon listening to music again.

Bass was boomy and flabby before. Now its tightened up again and in proportion. Focus of the music is better. Details arent sharp and cutting, just detailed.

If you have both a Zenith and Phoenix USB reclocker, try it. Just undo one of the small screws on the side and screw a wire to the side of the case. Then back to an earth point. Not attractive but effective
So if you spend £6000 on an Innuos Zenith and another £2500 on an Innuos Phoenix they will sound “off”, the bass will be “boomy and flabby” and details will be “sharp and cutting” if you use them as supplied?

Maybe the problem is with the Puritan earthing? Have you tried the Innuos units with different item?

So if you spend £6000 on an Innuos Zenith and another £2500 on an Innuos Phoenix they will sound “off”, the bass will be “boomy and flabby” and details will be “sharp and cutting” if you use them as supplied?
My Zenith Mk3 doesn't suffer from any of these problems and it didn't cost me anywhere near 6K.:cool:

@AndyU I think another over exaggeration by the op regarding boomy and flabby bass. :D I have recently had this argument before when someone had a very good sounding system (his own words), added in another component and he could no longer listen to the system without this component. He did say it wasn't unlistenable, but he couldn't listen to it anymore. :D

Yes quite, it was boomy compared to how I knew it could sound. I have spent quite some time component matching and had got it pretty much just how I liked it, so any difference was noticeable to me
@AndyU I think another over exaggeration by the op regarding boomy and flabby bass. :D I have recently had this argument before when someone had a very good sounding system (his own words), added in another component and he could no longer listen to the system without this component. He did say it wasn't unlistenable, but he couldn't listen to it anymore. :D

So you’ve got a Zenith on glass, which Innuos don’t recommend and it’s on after market feet, which Innuos also don’t recommend. Did it ever sound right to you before you did these things? It strikes me as the ultimate in over-thinking. Take the feet off; put it on wood and see what happens. Doubt you’ll then need to fart about adding loose cables.

Yeah the Townshend pods did add a little something over std.

The cable is earthing related not vibration.....

advertisement

Back