advertisement

Tonearm, Rega vs Jelco vs Scheu

Pani

pfm Member
I am currently using a SME 3012 S2 with my Verdier. While it is a recommended combination by JC Verdier himself, I find the combo a bit too "dark" for my tastes. Speaking to some of the other Verdier owners it was confirmed that SME-Verdier is a smooth performer but lacks excitement.

Individually I like both of them a lot, very musical equipments indeed, but I am looking for some more life and excitement in the music. So I have decided to sell the SME tonearm.

I want to some serious research before finalizing my next tonearm. In the mean time I need a makeshift arrangement, a relatively low cost tonearm. I may use it as my second tonearm or may sell it once I have decided my next tonearm upgrade.

Even though a makeshift I would still like to have a tonearm which is quick and lively with natural tones. Preferably a medium mass tonearm which can take most modern cartridges. Budget is about $800.
The options are:

1. Jelco SA-750D/E
2. Rega RB-700 (with upgraded Cardas tonearm cable)
3. Scheu Classic (unipivot)

I would request, please add some reasoning around your recommendation so that I can get some idea about each tonearms capabilities.

I use a V12 (although not on a Verdier.) It is certainly not a 'dark' arm (I've heard at least half a dozen in different set ups.) However, like most 12inch arms, it is 'smoother' and 'less dynamic' than a 9 inch. Seems to be a reliable trait of the long arms.
I suspect you might come to regret selling your 12inch (stone cold classic) but if you want more 'excitement' then a 9inch arm is probably your answer. As for a 'temporary' arm....why not save some of the money you are about to lose by only selling your V12 when you know what you want to replace it with in the longer term. Why waste cash?

I use a V12 (although not on a Verdier.) It is certainly not a 'dark' arm (I've heard at least half a dozen in different set ups.) However, like most 12inch arms, it is 'smoother' and 'less dynamic' than a 9 inch. Seems to be a reliable trait of the long arms.
I suspect you might come to regret selling your 12inch (stone cold classic) but if you want more 'excitement' then a 9inch arm is probably your answer.

Is it that shorter arms have some artificial edge which feels like dynamics or do they really do things better than longer arms to enhance the dynamics ? Could it be the weight of the longer arms which affects their agility and hence dynamics ?

As for a 'temporary' arm....why not save some of the money you are about to lose by only selling your V12 when you know what you want to replace it with in the longer term. Why waste cash?

Not sure what to say. Just that I want to take my own sweet time to decide on a top quality arm. It will allow me to wait for a good deal on the used market also. It could take 3-6 months. So, I was thinking of getting something cheap and fun to use tonearm in the interim.

What you buy and when is obviously for you! As for the 12inch v 9inch debate, I am pretty sure that longer arms sound 'sweeter'. That applies to every make I have had the chance to hear. I assume the main reason is better tracking in the long arms, so less tracking distortion. But issues such as more mass to absorb vibration, less load on the bearings and so on, could all contribute.
So, yes, my assumption is that the extra 'edge' of the 9inch arms is a result of more distortion.
One other thought, might you get a better resault by concentrating on the cartridge? They have a major effect on the sound, obviously. A more 'exciting' cartridge on a q2inch would probably be better than just switching to a nine inch. Could be cheaper too.

Somehow I am yet to read a review of the Jelco clearly mentioning its strengths and weaknesses. Is it so indifferent sounding ?

Somehow I am yet to read a review of the Jelco clearly mentioning its strengths and weaknesses. Is it so indifferent sounding ?

I once compared a Jelco 250 and a SME 309. The Jelco came second in that comparison, but not by too much. It was a bit grainier, coarser, had less resolution and a more coloured, hooded midrange. Dynamically, it was on a par with the SME, I felt. Prat was equally good from both arms. The Jelco seemed the better value of the two arms.

These days, with the Jelcos having gone up in price in Europe because of the strong yen, my preferred "budget" solution is an SME M2 arm (preferably used) with some Blutak applied to the arm wand.

advertisement

Back