advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I'm being far more selective these days. The first TPs were a perfect balm during periods of lockdown but I'm not likely going back to play some of them again. That said, I do love Joe Pass and this is one I'd probably have bought in any format.

I'm being far more selective these days. The first TPs were a perfect balm during periods of lockdown but I'm not likely going back to play some of them again. That said, I do love Joe Pass and this is one I'd probably have bought in any format.
I am also trying to be more selective, although it hasn’t worked to well up till now. I do like that Joe Harley has not gone for the usual ‘warhorses’ that are repeatedly reissued and we now have the Classics for those who need good or better quality copies. His selection has been fairly wide ranging and thrown up a few gems like Katanga, but I am also finding there are some that are not getting much time on my turntable. My real problem is space as much as money, but I’m aways reluctant to sell off Records to make space even if they are getting virtually no repeat playing as I may change my mind about them at some point.

I passed on Rough and Tumble as I have quite a lot of Turrentine and I think this is far from his best. Went For Django as I do not have very much by Joe Pass and this is one of his best. So a 50% reduction in Tone Poet purchase this time. :) Whether I can remain as selective is a another matter! :oops:

Me too. Both the Sonny Red and the Grant Green look exciting next month on top of the two Classics :eek:
Unfortunately I am fairly certain my resolve won’t hold for these two as well neither of which I have a copy of. **At least they are less costly than Tone Poets**, but it doesn’t help with my lack of storage space problem.

Edit: Oops these are Tone Poets not Classics.

Unfortunately I am fairly certain my resolve won’t hold for these two as well neither of which I have a copy of. At least they are less costly than Tone Poets, but it doesn’t help with my lack of storage space problem.

The Classic Series seems to be where it's all happening at the moment.

That's a great review - knowledgeable and appreciative - and very engaging to listen to. I must look up more of his posts. Are they all this good?

I streamed the record yesterday and thought it was a bit of a stinker. It felt like PR led product - Blue Note trying to get the attention of the mid 60s pop market with musicians trying to make the best of it. I'll go back and have another listen in light of the review but I was pretty much 100% convinced I didn't need this one.

Last edited:
That's a great review - knowledgeable and appreciative - and very engaging to listen to. I must look up more of his posts. Are they all this good?

I streamed the record yesterday and thought it was a bit of a stinker. It felt like PR led product - Blue Note trying to get the attention of the mid 60s pop market with musicians trying to make the best of it. I'll go back and have another listen I light of the review but I was pretty much 100% convinced I didn't need this one.

Yes he's very knowledgeable, as you say. Tiny channel, I binge watched a few a couple of months ago after, I think, the Miles Davis one.

I streamed the record yesterday and thought it was a bit of a stinker. It felt like PR led product - Blue Note trying to get the attention of the mid 60s pop market with musicians trying to make the best of it. I'll go back and have another listen I light of the review but I was pretty much 100% convinced I didn't need this one.
I think your first judgement on this is spot on. While I like most of the earlier Turrentine albums as leader or those he is on the later ones, where he and Blue Note are trying to cash in on the growth pop music sales, are are not very good in my opinion. Blue Note had been sold to Liberty by the time this was released so the new owners may have had some influence in trying to widen the Blue Note market. Alfred Lion still remained with Blue Note as producer and was still producing more adventurous artists like Andrew Hill and Sam Rivers as well, but he finally left in mid 1967.

Yes he's very knowledgeable, as you say. Tiny channel, I binge watched a few a couple of months ago after, I think, the Miles Davis one.
Gavreid, thanks. I have watched video through now. He is clearly an articulate and knowledgeable reviewer and he makes some good arguments in favour of Rough & Tumble, but not enough to make me buy it in favour of many more on my wanted list especially when I am at least trying to be a little more selective with these reissues.

One interesting bit I did pickup on was his noting the lack of bass on this album. Some people who have the Tone Poet version have commented on this as well and Joe Harley had said they had noticed this on the tapes and at first tried to improve this in the new mastering, but he found that if they did it muddied the sound and reduced the overall clarity, so in the end they left the level as it is on the tape.

Gavreid, thanks. I have watched video through now. He is clearly an articulate and knowledgeable reviewer and the makes some good arguments in favour of Rough & Tumble, but not enough to make me buy it in favour of many more on my wanted list especially when I am at least trying to be a little more selective with these reissues.

No, it's not for me either. Really this time ;)

advertisement

Back