advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I put in a pre order for Passing Ships at £47 in the hope it will drop just a little - if it doesn't I may cancel but it's now not due until mid May so there's plenty of time for fluctuations. £47 is close to the current price in the Blue Note Store (£45)

Passing Ships £43.99 at Juno. As it’s effectively a double LP, I think this price is as low as it will get.

I was not impressed with recent Amazon packaging - LPs loose in a large flimsy box, no mailers for protection. Not good. Friend having same problem, similar stories over at Hoffman. I have complained to Amazon to no avail.

Passing Ships £43.99 at Juno. As it’s effectively a double LP, I think this price is as low as it will get.

I was not impressed with recent Amazon packaging - LPs loose in a large flimsy box, no mailers for protection. Not good. Friend having same problem, similar stories over at Hoffman. I have complained to Amazon to no avail.
Graham, yes I was intending to go to Honest Jons or Juno if Passing Ships does not drop on Amazon. I usually prefer Honest Jons as if I order something else you get free postage over £50.
Sorry to hear about your delivery problems. I will have to see what my Amazon delivery is like today. I have heard others have had problems, but mine have always come In mailers that are then inside a larger box with extra paper around. All my Tone Poets have been fine. I don't think I have returned any. Hope I'm not tempting fate saying this.:rolleyes:

I wonder if there are regional variations with Amazon depending on the dispatch centre? I'm in Oxford and, like Jim, have always had records delivered in a tightly packed and sealed thick card envelope either inside a larger box or in a water tight padded bag.

I hope I'm not tempting fate with BoT on the way o_O

I tend to order most of my vinyl from Amazon - mainly because I’m usually out at work and only with Amazon can you specify a day for delivery. And in the several (hundred? Eek!) orders, very rarely have I received a record that wasn’t in a mailer inside a larger box and well padded. Only once did it arrive as a bare shrink-wrap with the address label plastered across it. Occasionally it’ll be without a mailer but inside another box if I’ve ordered more than one thing. Again, that’s pretty rare.

Amazon trying to make up for posting George Russell in a plastic envelope by putting Cannonball Adderley in a massive cardboard mailer, inside a massive cardboard box.

All a bit random but it usually works out. On the whole I’d rather give Honest Jons the money.

I got it at about that as a pre order some time ago. The Rahja the same (now £38+) and the Verve Black Coffee for £29 (now £42). I pre ordered One Flight Up at £32 ( about the same now) and have still Passed so far on Passing Ships as that is still sticking above £47, so will order elsewhere if it doesn't drop. Their pricing algorithm is still running amuck.o_O

Black Coffee now back to just under £42. I really don’t get Amazon’s price fluctuations. I’ve been watching the price for ages and would have bought it in a shot at £29.

I wonder if there are regional variations with Amazon depending on the dispatch centre? I'm in Oxford and, like Jim, have always had records delivered in a tightly packed and sealed thick card envelope either inside a larger box or in a water tight padded bag.

I hope I'm not tempting fate with BoT on the way o_O

My friend who is collecting all the TPs etc and myself are in Norfolk. There is a photo over at Hoffman a while back of a poster’s Shorter Classic which was totally trashed, sent in same manner as mine. Until I’m confident that Amazon have gone back to mailers within a box, it’ll be Honest Jon’s or Juno. As Jim pointed out HJ offer free first class postage with orders over £50. I prefer HJ, but I like Juno’s messaging system when new stock arrives. It works.

I’ve just gone for the Hill on Amazon’s pre-order (£47), hopefully it will drop below that before release. I still don’t understand why it is showing as a May release date given folk in America have it already.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Until I’m confident that Amazon have gone back to mailers within a box, it’ll be Honest Jon’s or Juno.

Everything I’ve had from Amazon for a very long time (I buy a lot) has been in a decent mailer and usually within a outer box. The other thing with Amazon is it isn’t going through a general mail system, their logistics are internal so it is likely a more direct route than having to navigate the RM hub etc.

I bought a Joe Armon Jones 10” a few weeks ago and it turned up in a 12” mailer inside a huge box!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I haven't caught up with all the Tone Poet posts over there yet, but the Morgan Lighthouse box set is seperate and is preorder some places in the states for about $300 so likely to be at least £350 over here. :( There is also a post by Scottie suggesting another box set is imminent.

The hot topic is wether Playboy will allow the original cover of the Baker & Pepper - Picture of Heath that was withdrawn because they threatened to sue. :rolleyes:;) Probably unlikely as they call it Picture of Heath not Playboys in the 2021 list.
IMG-0029.jpg

I’ve got this album with the cover above. It’s from around 2014 but I think it’s on Jazz Wax records, so maybe a bootleg? Good record, mine is mono, not sure when it was recorded.

Black Coffee now back to just under £42. I really don’t get Amazon’s price fluctuations. I’ve been watching the price for ages and would have bought it in a shot at £29.
I think I was lucky to see it at that price when it was first listed a couple of months back. It went up progressively from then. I haven't seen my final invoice for it yet, but I am assuming they will keep to their price guarantee?

I’ve just gone for the Hill on Amazon’s pre-order (£47), hopefully it will drop below that before release. I still don’t understand why it is showing as a May release date given folk in America have it already.
I think this is related to Covid problems in the US. Many complaints in the US about their mailing and shipping services, both internally and to and from abroad, not working properly and delays and backlogs at both Stoughton and RTI. I suspect these are only doing limited (part total) runs at present to keep all their clients happy to some extent. Because of shipping and demand problems the US are getting all these runs first and then there is a wait until the next run?

I’ve got this album with the cover above. It’s from around 2014 but I think it’s on Jazz Wax records, so maybe a bootleg? Good record, mine is mono, not sure when it was recorded.
It's first release was under that title in 1957. So it would be possible for a Stereo, but I have only seen monos. Jazz Wax is a copyright avoidance label, so possibly a needle drop or more likely the from later Pacific Jazz CD. Quality could be OK though, but I personally avoid these labels.

It's first release was under that title in 1957. So it would be possible for a Stereo, but I have only seen monos. Jazz Wax is a copyright avoidance label, so possibly a needle drop or more likely the from later Pacific Jazz CD. Quality could be OK though, but I personally avoid these labels.

Yes, it sounds fine but I got it before I knew about these sort of labels. Don’t buy them anymore.

My friend who is collecting all the TPs etc and myself are in Norfolk. There is a photo over at Hoffman a while back of a poster’s Shorter Classic which was totally trashed, sent in same manner as mine. Until I’m confident that Amazon have gone back to mailers within a box, it’ll be Honest Jon’s or Juno. As Jim pointed out HJ offer free first class postage with orders over £50. I prefer HJ, but I like Juno’s messaging system when new stock arrives. It works.
I tend to order from Amazon, but only if the price is OK, as they are usually the first to have pre orders up and I get free delivery with Prime. I prefer Honest Jon's, but although their price is good they don't seem to do pre orders. I usually go with them if I want something else as well that Amazon doesn't stock. Amazon is also very easy for returns, and benefits Tony if you go from here, but I do feel uneasy about it at times.

my copy is a 1978 King mono reissue. Great music and pressing. Top rhythm section of (the other) Carl Perkins, Curtis Counce and Lawrence Marable.

My three mentioned above have just arrived from Amazon. All three in the usual one large box with some extra paper stuffing, but only one (BOT) was in a mailer inside that was a bit less substantial than the ones I usually get from them. It is OK with the addition of the extra box, but if that were alone would probably not take rough handling. The other two were just in the box without additional protection. Sleeves and records look fine. I can't see any damage. Vinyl looks very clean and flat.

So all OK, but I don't know if this is heralds lower standards in general for future deliveries?

My three mentioned above have just arrived from Amazon. All three in the usual one large box with some extra paper stuffing, but only one (BOT) was in a mailer inside that was a bit less substantial than the ones I usually get from them. It is OK with the addition of the extra box, but if that were alone would probably not take rough handling. The other two were just in the box without additional protection. Sleeves and records look fine. I can't see any damage. Vinyl looks very clean and flat.

So all OK, but I don't know if this is heralds lower standards in general for future deliveries?

I think that most of the time the Amazon packaging is fine - usually they’re in a mailer, which itself is in a larger box with brown paper packing as you describe. However last week I did receive an LP in a brown paper envelope; no packing at all. Fortunately the cover was ok. I wonder if it’s a case of them not having suitable materials at the packing station, so they use whatever’s to hand rather than delay the despatch?

advertisement

Back