advertisement

Tom Waits Island Catalogue remastered and reissued by ANTI-Records

I have original presses of all of them but they are getting very crackly. Might get Swordfishtrombones, which is the most played, and give it a go.

Given prices of reissues /remasters elsewhere £25 for a standard black version sounds a bargain.

I only have Bone Machine and Black Rider on CD so I might be tempted but I haven't been too impressed by the newer Anti releases.

I've never really listened to TW but someone recommended Rain Dogs, is this a good starting point?

Thinking this and one other?

Should have seen that coming, and flogged my Black Rider, Bone Machine, and Night On Earth earlier - never mind eh?

Swordfish and Rain are essential. After that it’s your own journey. I love Bone Machine and the Black Rider. There are many reasons others can’t get into either. Early Tom has its moments too. Some love both and some only one era. I’ve no desire to own any of his recent stuff. It sounds like Tom Waits. I have enough. My desire is to see him live again.

Early stuff all the way for me, I give up at bone machine, though bawlers, brawlers and bastards is worth a listen.

Swordfish, Raindogs and Bone Machine all essential, probably in that order (the father, son and Holy Ghost. Bone Machine can be a bit scary).

Post Rain Dogs…I’d go for Mule Variations, Alice, and Blood Money…first

This, maybe plus Real Gone.

Of the early stuff, it’s Small Change for me. Not as popular as others perhaps, but it’s the one I go back to most.

This is a very well done comp on CD of early material. Rhino Records (2) – 8122-78351-2.

LTc5NzcuanBlZw.jpeg

I first got into Waits around Foreign Affairs and still really like the later Asylum records.

My essential list would be

Blue Valentines
One From the Heart (Soundtrack)
Swordsfishtrumbones
Rain Dogs
Bone Machine
Mule Variations
Alice

This is a very well done comp on CD of early material. Rhino Records (2) – 8122-78351-2.
This, along with "Closing Time" is probably the best starting point if you don't know his work (but you will know the famous covers) and then Swordfish and Rain. After that I think it becomes more fan-only and rather difficult in the later Brennan years but if you're hooked, you're hooked and will get them all eventually!
LTc5NzcuanBlZw.jpeg

advertisement

Back