advertisement

Toggle switch - does this exist (cars not hifi)

JemHayward

pfm Member
I'm finishing off a replica car project and need a specific switch. It needs to visually match this switch
I want it to operate like this. Assuming the switch is working vertically: Top position = off, Centre position = wipers on, lowest position (momentary), separate circuit, activates the screen washers. For some reason I get very confused by double throws, etc. So I'm not sure if I'm looking for a unicorn, or staring at it and not seeing it. A query to a couple of 'automotive' electrical suppliers has drawn a blank, but the likes of RS and Farnell are just too confusing for me at the moment (on lots of pills following surgery!).

I have seen and used many toggle switches but never an off the shelf one that does that.

For 3 position, centre is usually off. Lock/latch and momentary/non-latch is generally the same for both up and down, rather than latch one way, non-latch the other. But never say never.

You need to be searching for latch and non-latch in terms of how the switch operates.

You need two/double throw, near certainly centre off, presumably single pole.

Could you not effectively invert the on and off positions by using relays? That could be one problem solved.

Relay would certainly work to change off position, but latch one way and non-latch the other may prove to be a bigger problem. But never say never

I think I could make that work, though I've also found one designed for the job, but with a plastic toggle, which isn't very 1959 - not quite sure how to proceed now. I've diverted my energy (not much ATM as recovering from major surgery and even more major complications) into getting my fuel gauge to tell me something vaguely useful.

Unfortunately, you'd need one in your hand to see properly, but older style toggle switches, the toggle screwed into the "ball" that took the pivot pin.

advertisement

Back