advertisement

Toddler has trashed my DV10X5

Mekon

Anti-socialite
Walked in last night to be told "I think he's done something to the record player". Sure enough, my DV10x5 has been separated from its stylus. I am guessing it's too cheap a cartridge for there to be a repair service, right?

Assuming that is the case, what's the minimum I can get away with spending to tide me over until my kids (2 & 6) can be trusted? Is a Rega Bias 2 likely to be adequate? Rest of the kit is LP12/Ittok/insert cart here/72/HC/180/Kans.

Thanks <sobs>

Do DV still do a part exhange on cartridges? I got 20% off a new 20XL when I traded in my 20XH with a bent cantilever.

Preventative measures in the nest included a fire guard round the hi-fi (I'm not the only one there was a thread about it ealier this week.)

My wife removed the fire guard about a month ago.

My desire for continued martial harmony does not permit me to dwell on that thought. Nor the fact that she was listening to Bob Dylan and left him alone with the hi fi. No, I'm not thinking about that.

You could try a Ortofon 2m Red Moving Magnet Cartridge this works well in a Ittok and it has a removable stylus that you take out as and when you need to.

Walked in last night to be told "I think he's done something to the record player". Sure enough, my DV10x5 has been separated from its stylus. I am guessing it's too cheap a cartridge for there to be a repair service, right?

Assuming that is the case, what's the minimum I can get away with spending to tide me over until my kids (2 & 6) can be trusted? Is a Rega Bias 2 likely to be adequate? Rest of the kit is LP12/Ittok/insert cart here/72/HC/180/Kans.

Thanks <sobs>

Perhaps you need to introduce the toddlers to the back of your hand.

She left Bob Dylan alone with the hifi?

That's nothing. I left Alice Cooper alone in my garage. I was only gone for a few minutes. Insurance job......Ahhh...Mekon mate...That's it!!...House Insurance!!! Accidental damage.

Good to see you around again.

ps. I have a 7 tier Target rack I'm not using now if you want it. It would put the Linn out of reach. If you want it, it's yours.

There is currently a Denon DL160 on Ebay for £50.
I've always wanted to try a Denon to see what the fuss is all about.

ps. I have a 7 tier Target rack I'm not using now if you want it. It would put the Linn out of reach. If you want it, it's yours.

Sounds like a ladder to me and probably looks like one to a toddler.

Perhaps a wall bracket out of reach may be a better idea.

Sounds like a ladder to me and probably looks like one to a toddler.

Perhaps a wall bracket out of reach may be a better idea.

Made an insurance claim a few years back . My youngest liked the flashing ring around my Copland power amp "on" button , it flashed red then green when ready. Of course he had great fun pressing the on off about fifty times in a minute and it went pop. £600 later.. ! :rolleyes:

I searched high and low for a oversized TV cabinet that I modified to put everything in and closed doors to stop fingers ...

Just need to sort the PS3 overheating now :)

edit *** Of course normal insurance excess these days (in uk anyhow) is £150 , unless he's broken the turntable completely of course ;)

Do you still have the damaged cantilever? It may be possible to repair if you still have all the parts. Contact me if you wish.

Dom

Are you the Brighton hip hop Mekon is it?

Just saying hello and shame about the needle there.

DS

Anyone that thinks expensive hi fi and children mix in harmony is in for a rude awakening.

Probably dooming myself to years of disasters but my kids (now 4 and 8) have always been fine with my HiFi, including a Turntable with a ludicrously expensive cartridge on it. They love dancing round and singing along as well, they are both girls so perhaps that is the difference?

Cheers
Jason

Do you still have the damaged cantilever? It may be possible to repair if you still have all the parts. Contact me if you wish.

Dom

Thanks Dom - nice talking to you. Will email over the pictures later.

To DSS & Rasher -thanks for the very warm welcome back. And thanks for the offer of the stand. I've actually got a 6 tier atm (via DaveJ from this parish some years back) - I think he's just reached his arm up and slapped the arm. I've got a wall mounted one in the loft that may have to resume service despite my wife's objections to its aesthetic qualities.

That tells me why I am still single.

Aww...luckily I don't believe you.
:)

The point is that you have kids and one of the side effects if you are unlucky is that something like this might happen once. The only thing that happened to me is that the knob on my Hi-Cap got screwed round so far that it broke up inside the pot. £150 repair. It looks as if it was a friend of my daughter - so a toddler.

The alternative is not to have kids, and that's a huge price to pay just to protect a home appliance. You can't get upset about it and you can't get angry - because who would are you going to blame when you've had a whiskey and wipe out the stylus with the cuff of your jumper when you put the arm back on it's rest? It's been a close call on more than one occasion, I can tell you.

Damage is the same as servicing. It's part of the cost of ownership, and after all - it's just a 'thing'. Kids are far more important than a stupid overpriced bit of tin & wire.

14 years ago when we had the first of our 3 children I put the LP12 away for this reason. A few years later I decided I didn't miss it, so sold it. Now I have a SpaceDeck and wonder if I would have still had the LP12 if I hadn't put it away. You see, sometimes it can work out for the best.

Aww...luckily I don't believe you.
:)

The point is that you have kids and one of the side effects if you are unlucky is that something like this might happen once. The only thing that happened to me is that the knob on my Hi-Cap got screwed round so far that it broke up inside the pot. £150 repair. It looks as if it was a friend of my daughter - so a toddler.

The alternative is not to have kids, and that's a huge price to pay just to protect a home appliance. You can't get upset about it and you can't get angry - because who would are you going to blame when you've had a whiskey and wipe out the stylus with the cuff of your jumper when you put the arm back on it's rest? It's been a close call on more than one occasion, I can tell you.

Damage is the same as servicing. It's part of the cost of ownership, and after all - it's just a 'thing'. Kids are far more important than a stupid overpriced bit of tin & wire.

14 years ago when we had the first of our 3 children I put the LP12 away for this reason. A few years later I decided I didn't miss it, so sold it. Now I have a SpaceDeck and wonder if I would have still had the LP12 if I hadn't put it away. You see, sometimes it can work out for the best.

What a load of revolting schmaltz! Life should be about OWNING machines, preferably expensive ones. And children, if they must share the same premises, should not even touch them on pain of brutal punishment. This kind of nauseating drivel should be reserved for "parenting" forums. I'm surprised Tony has not stepped in to put a stop to this.

advertisement

Back