advertisement

Toddler-friendly good quality setup?

Some fantastic tips guys - keep them coming. A few great ideas!

The 'hifi stays' as Outlookrt puts it :)- well that's another issue for me- hifi space has slowly, but surely been eroded by wooden baby furniture, extra cradles, etc. Space is now definitely at a premium - another reason why I haven't been able to keep the standmounts and separate rack around.

Based on the above comments I sense the likes of the Naim Muso etc don't enjoy a lot of popularity here - are they just tinny / boomy things or is the problem something else? I can see that these things pack a lot of electronics and if something goes wrong - new doorstopper. Which is of concern.

If you wanted to try and keep the Dynaudios, are you sure they can't work up against the wall with the ports sealed?
They are active and look like they have adjustments on the rear for boundaries from a quick look online.
Theoretically speakers near the wall as possible offer benefits. Basically you want them very far out 1-2m or very close.
It will be a different sound than you're used to but may not be 'worse' perse.
In my experience you'll loose some holographic imagery, but gain a smoother, more linear and possibly more accurate tonality with deeper bass.
(Not boomy if the bass boost from the wall is adjusted with said onboard or external EQ).

Maybe you could attach a wire/nylon/metal 'strap' from one of the speakers screws to the wall with a solid bolt/plug (the way large furniture is) to ensure it can't fall if knocked off?
They look like they could be a bit too big/deep to wall mount, but maybe I'm wrong. If you had a solid wall it could be possible.
Maybe putting up a solid shelf or two? Or buy a wide and high-ish 'console unit' they can sit on if space allows? May not be as ideal as stands but could be a compromise?

I noticed dynaudio show them in their promotional photos on a low stand pointed up.. could work but you'd have to protect that tweeter... I wonder if Dynaudio offers a screw-on cover. Their exposed tweeters have always been a turn-off to me... even before I had kids!

Just looking again at the backside of the 110A and the bass adjustment looks like only -2db... not enough to properly adjust for boundary I'm guessing.
Something like an RME ADI-2 dac would give you the EQ to really sort it... but you may not want to bother with a new dac.
And you'd still have speakers on stands, just out of the way.

advertisement

Back