advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Had to go for an ultrasound yesterday to see how knackered my internal organs are.

Afterwards I smiled at the nice woman who had been probing me and said "I was going to ask if it's a boy or a girl but I expect everyone says that". She just raised a weary eyebrow "First one this week..."

My brother's here with his clan for the Huddersfield game this pm. Knocking up a "lardy cake" - it's just waiting to go in the oven now. It's a traditional celebration bread really, enriched bread dough, lightly sweetened with fruit but no spices as these would have been expensive bitd. No eggs, so it's not really a cake. You can sub butter for the lard or do a mix if you really want to.

My brother's here with his clan for the Huddersfield game this pm. Knocking up a "lardy cake" - it's just waiting to go in the oven now. It's a traditional celebration bread really, enriched bread dough, lightly sweetened with fruit but no spices as these would have been expensive bitd. No eggs, so it's not really a cake. You can sub butter for the lard or do a mix if you really want to.

Memories of my grandma’s kitchen. Thanks.

Strictly speaking true, but PSA (Peugeot) bought Opel/Vauxhall from GM in 2017, and Stellantis wasn't formed until 2021, being the merger of PSA and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Had to go for an ultrasound yesterday to see how knackered my internal organs are.

Afterwards I smiled at the nice woman who had been probing me and said "I was going to ask if it's a boy or a girl but I expect everyone says that". She just raised a weary eyebrow "First one this week..."
congrats, when is the baby due

Walked round the vast regents park today , wow so beautiful .not been here for a few years but what a fabulous place with all the daffodils and flowers out

Battening out the loft wall at my mum's ready to insulate and plasterboard it. Just this pictured took most of the day due to the terrible state of the wall, out of plumb in every direction possible and random proud bricks all over the place. Had to pack and true every batten.

Nice job Matt.

Cheers BB

Setting up my new (to me) laptop and getting ready to decommission my tired old desktop PC. Will remove the hard disks and probably put them in caddies for extra storage. One is a 250Gb SSD, the other a 1Tb HDD so I’ll probably use the SSD for photos and the HDD as a backup drive.

Lardy cakes working for Coventry.
The Lardy cake comes from Wiltshire and was a high calorie/fat "cake" to feed the peasants as they toiled in the fields from first morning to late at night in order to provide food for the towns and cities.

There is no recipe as such, it's all a bit of a miss mash and varied in its content from town to town. I had one every day of my apprenticeship and like others I managed to remain a skinny teenager despite filling myself with this combination of bread dough,lard, sugar and fruit. The things were cooked in the factory canteen and none of the kitchen staff were brave enough to eat them but the workers gobbled them up because they looked inviting and never saw them made.

Today hardly anyone eats the things and you have a job to see a genuine one for sale in Wilshire and this is a regular form of complaint by older sections of the community who moan about losing our heritage etc in the local newspaper.

I believe (in an unconfirmed rumour) that some are still made in Royal Wootton Bassett and despatched up to Lancashire where they will eat anything.

Here endeth the pfm cultural lesson of ancient Britain.

PS - I should be bloody paid for this.

The Lardy cake comes from Wiltshire and was a high calorie/fat "cake" to feed the peasants as they toiled in the fields from first morning to late at night in order to provide food for the towns and cities.

There is no recipe as such, it's all a bit of a miss mash and varied in its content from town to town. I had one every day of my apprenticeship and like others I managed to remain a skinny teenager despite filling myself with this combination of bread dough,lard, sugar and fruit. The things were cooked in the factory canteen and none of the kitchen staff were brave enough to eat them but the workers gobbled them up because they looked inviting and never saw them made.

Today hardly anyone eats the things and you have a job to see a genuine one for sale in Wilshire and this is a regular form of complaint by older sections of the community who moan about losing our heritage etc in the local newspaper.

I believe (in an unconfirmed rumour) that some are still made in Royal Wootton Bassett and despatched up to Lancashire where they will eat anything.

Here endeth the pfm cultural lesson of ancient Britain.

PS - I should be bloody paid for this.
Every region probably has its own recipe - the Black Country certainly does - and would not entertain imports from foreign parts.

advertisement

Back