advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

The weather is dire so good to not tax the new car before the end of the month. It has less horsepower than my diesel yet costs damn near £300 in road tax to the Volvos £0.
Have to say you could use the Audi TT as a learner car. Its ridiculously easy/pleasant to drive. Everything is progressive and light touch. In contrast the Volvo is relatively awkward. Heavy clutch with sharp take up is just one example. Yet the Volvo is sold to people that mostly want to get from A to B with little effort? It’s taken a thousand miles to adapt to the Volvo and nil to the TT.
It’s also quite easy for just getting about. The only distinction from an ordinary car is the bouncy suspension. Once you get to GO it all changes and though firm, you appreciate it working as it should.
Even with a standard exhaust you can’t but be charmed with it lifting its skirts at 3k revs. It all comes together. Stance/ sound/acceleration. I should have got here years ago:)

Pleased mine came with manual’ despite two more ratios added since I was a lad. Despite improvements you still get reports of confusion/hesitancy around town with autos.

Mrs Seeker's is the 6 speed and I had an A5 with 7. IME, the 6 is much better; none of the hesitancy of the 7 speed when driving off.

Up early to catch the morning light on the hills to the west, & try to photograph them with my recently acquired Sigma 17-70mm lens on a Canon 200D (I would use my 100D should I find the battery charger). I like the range & IQ. It's lighter than the EF-S 15-85mm.

I feel that, for my requirements, I now have as complete a set of lenses for my APS-C DSLR Canons as I'm likely to get.

Primes:
EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake
EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro

Zooms:
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC HSM
EF 35-135mm f4-5.6 (very old & long discontinued)

I'd prefer an all-prime kit but it's not feasible with Canon APS-C as there are no 15mm, 18mm, or 35mm EF-S lenses. The FF focal length equivalents are large, expensive even used, & not optimized for crop sensors. At 64mm FF equivalent the 40mm is an unfamiliar focal length but it fills a gap & is very small & light with excellent IQ for a low price. My trio of primes makes a compact kit that weighs less than the Sigma zoom.

The zooms are more versatile of course but bulkier & not quite as sharp. The Sigma is an excellent walk around lens. The EF 35-135mm, bought out of curiosity for hardly anything, is light & has surprisingly good IQ except at the long end. It makes a fair companion with the 24mm pancake. It could be a useful standard zoom should I acquire a FF Canon.

TBH I hardly know why I took on this project as for years I've almost only made snaps with my phone. Once a serious amateur, I'm way way way out of practice for thoughtful photography! This morning's pictures are poor. It's all for nostalgia & a hope of finding time to be serious again sometime, I think.

After showing great improvement during the week, my Dad took a turn for the worse and died yesterday morning. Will be travelling up late tomorrow and seeing him in the Morgue on Sunday to say goodbye.

I was supposed to be going to The Wam Show on Sunday and was picking something up for another Southern based Member, I feel really bad I’ve had to let him down but as you’d expect he was totally understanding.

Cheers BB

After showing great improvement during the week, my Dad took a turn for the worse and died yesterday morning. Will be travelling up late tomorrow and seeing him in the Morgue on Sunday to say goodbye.

I was supposed to be going to The Wam Show on Sunday and was picking something up for another Southern based Member, I feel really bad I’ve had to let him down but as you’d expect he was totally understanding.

Cheers BB
Sorry to hear this, hope you’re ok.

Thanks Phil, he’d been ill for a long time, suffering with COPD but continuing to smoke heavily. It hasn’t come as a surprise. TBH I’m amazed he got to 80. Distance robbed us of time together, which is probably what upsets me the most.

Cheers BB
Not great for us all of a similar age, my mum isn’t too good at present. Least we can all do is offer kindly words. Take care.

Empathetic commiserations. Not the way it should go. I read yesterday that most of the Royal Family arrived too late for Her Majesty, f.w.i.w.

Cheers BB

so so sorry to hear this BB .. dreadful news . we are thinking of you

picked up a donation of around 300 x 7” Singles, now sorted into various piles for the next stage.
Looks like many will make £1+ in the Headway charity shop.
The bad news is that they look like they have been stored in a damp place, some have visible mould on them. It will clean off okay, not keen on the smell though…

Installing our new VM 360 telly box, Hub5 and moving the V6 upstairs to replace the awful Tivo box.

Instructions brilliantly clear, easy to do - excellent

Cleaned up the Focus, took some pics and put up some ads on t'internet. Now waiting for the rush of buyers looking for a 14 year old one with nearly 189k on the clock.....

advertisement

Back