advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

hearty breakfast, a stroll, a taxi to Belfast City Airport. BA flight back to T5 and now on the road in the Addison Lee

Still doggedly trying to work through a list of DIY and gardening tasks. The diy is part of a final push to get the house sorted, after which I will not be doing any more. Several years of mobility issues delayed stuff.
Refurbish bathroom, replace some fittings and flooring. Then it will be replacing assorted creaking floorboards with particle board. Couple of new doors, redecorate throughout, new carpets.
It's surprising how much more difficult things get with age, Everything has to be done slowly and deliberately.. in easy stages.

Another long day, out at 05.00 back at 21.00. Just watched Boro get beat, didn’t hear the score beforehand, might have gone to bed earlier if I’d known. WFH tomorrow so a bit of a lie in.

Cheers BB

Still doggedly trying to work through a list of DIY and gardening tasks. The diy is part of a final push to get the house sorted, after which I will not be doing any more. Several years of mobility issues delayed stuff.
Refurbish bathroom, replace some fittings and flooring. Then it will be replacing assorted creaking floorboards with particle board. Couple of new doors, redecorate throughout, new carpets.
It's surprising how much more difficult things get with age, Everything has to be done slowly and deliberately.. in easy stages.
got a house with plywood floorboard , its a pitb where its been cut with a saw to put in pipes . would it not be better to replace creaking floorboards with new T&G which can be lifted easier ?

Just finished play-grading and labelling/pricing up 30+ records. Knackered now. Only came across three that I had cleaned that sounded dire so they went straight in the bin. Also had one 7” Single that had a hard-to-see crack in it.
Put a Quid on a Glenn Miller 8 album boxset that is nr/mint vinyl. Somebody will be pleased with it.

Now relaxing by playing more records… big mug of stewed Yorkshire Gold tea. Thinking about what The Wife might like for her 60th birthday.
So far I have got her a book.. It is a. nice book.

The Art of Smallfilms - The work of Oliver Postgate & Peter Firmin​

I think Wife will want diamonds.
Definitely not any kind of surprise anything, especially a party. I have plenty of time as her birthday is months away.

Had a couple of hours with The Grandson who has cerebral palsy yesterday. He managed to hit me in the face just the once. it made him laugh, but I don’t encourage that kind o thing. We read him a fantastic book that all the Grandkids have loved.
’The Story of the Little Mole who knew it was none of His Business’
it is all about a mole who gets shat on by some animal, but Mole doesn’t know who did it… we then go on an adventure questioning various animals about their poo. The Grandson was busting a gut laughing at this - highly recommended.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
drive chappies came and did some cementing . had some traffic cones delivered . arranging a topographical survey for another drive / road project

and gardening and continuing to clean out a deceased house

spent about two hours communicating with virgin media. They really do make getting a straight answer to a simple question difficult, In the end the online chat worked well. Managed to convince them that i no longer needed all the Sky shite, and TNT etc..... contract renewed in the end with a hefty discount and lower that the previous one.

I tend to default to online chat where it's offered, and suitable for what I need to do. It's less time consuming than being on hold for decades, and you can usually save a transcript if you want one.

Fixing the Qashqai (again). New suspension bottom arm, as lower ball joint was "gone". Was going to replace the outer CV joint, but the old one was not coming off easy, so maybe another time (hopefully the fixed ball joint will stop the driveshaft popping out of the joint. Strange how it popped out, and now I can't easily get it off). Hub nut was a bugger, hand to use the trolley jack on the ratchet handle (with a pole extension over it) to move it.

Leaving Waitrose today I saw some pots and trays of veg plants and herbs, marked down in price and in desperate need of help. I gathered up two tomato plants, a pot of rosemary and a tray of beetroot seedlings, went back into the store and handed over 40p for the lot.

I loaded them into the boot and drove off, swearing as usual at my daft touchscreen music player which usually causes you to select entirely the wrong thing because your finger aims incorrectly as you bump over a pothole. I tried three times to choose Here Come the Warm Jets and whilst doing so I admit my course down the dual carriageway was probably less than straight.

The pedestrian crossing lights were red and a car pulled up alongside me in the outside lane. The driver gesticulated excitedly at me, and I thought he was probably going to give me a brief but strongly worded driving lesson. It only took me about fifteen seconds to work out how to shut Brian up and wind down several wrong windows. When I found the right one the driver shouted ‘you had a plant tray on the roof! It blew off, back there!!’ and drove off at the green light. I had managed to forget to put the tray of beetroot seedlings in the boot.

I drove back round the block and saw the tray in the gutter outside Aldi. I parked and went to retrieve it. No beetroot seedlings inside. The tray must have hit the ground, jettisoned the plants and then blown along the road in the strong breeze. I spent ten minutes walking up and down the road looking, but it was no good. I drove back home, grumbling at myself all the way. It wasn’t so much the 10p - I can probably still scrape together enough for a nightly bowl of gruel for the rest of the week - more the thought of my poor little rescue plants coming to a sticky end on the dual carriageway. And even worse was the grim realisation that I now seem to do something equally stupid and memory-lapse based several times a week.

got a house with plywood floorboard , its a pitb where its been cut with a saw to put in pipes . would it not be better to replace creaking floorboards with new T&G which can be lifted easier ?
The floor boards have been up and down more times than the proverbial. I replaced most with t & g a few years ago but they just kick off again. Screws..nails .nothing seems to work. So the plan is to replace the whole area ( It's the landing, where gas, water, c/h and recently loads of extra electricity feeds to the kitchen are run) using loft boards. They're quiet in my loft!
Meanwhile, after delivery delays, I spent days puzzling over a wall mounted vanity unit for the bathroom. Not cheap but the supplied instructions in non verbal German had me foxed., especially re: measurements for mounting brackets etc. Reminded me a lot of when I used to work on German made textile machinery. It worked extremely well but sometimes the mfrs logic seemed deliberately obtuse.
So needed to take the drawers out before mounting. Main one logical..just a couple of release triggers and out. But the smaller inner drawer just wouldn't budge and the instructions meaningless. Had a 30 minute conversation with their UK helpline, which involved a young lady talking to me as she toured their loos experimenting with their own installations. The upshot was I needed to use more force to dislodge the drawer from its runners. Tried again but still no joy. So went to the supplier where their sales bloke and me spent 30 mins before finally forcing the drawer out of their display model. Couple of practice runs and home. Tried mine again and only after a determined whack did it come free. I was bemused to see it was just a steel pin on the drawer runner 'interference' fitted into the wooden drawer sides. Forcing them apart had split the timber...so..back onto Geberit via email with photographic evidence and expressions of deep disappointment. I await their response but a replacement drawer would be handy....:(

Leaving Waitrose today I saw some pots and trays of veg plants and herbs, marked down in price and in desperate need of help. I gathered up two tomato plants, a pot of rosemary and a tray of beetroot seedlings, went back into the store and handed over 40p for the lot.

I loaded them into the boot and drove off, swearing as usual at my daft touchscreen music player which usually causes you to select entirely the wrong thing because your finger aims incorrectly as you bump over a pothole. I tried three times to choose Here Come the Warm Jets and whilst doing so I admit my course down the dual carriageway was probably less than straight.

The pedestrian crossing lights were red and a car pulled up alongside me in the outside lane. The driver gesticulated excitedly at me, and I thought he was probably going to give me a brief but strongly worded driving lesson. It only took me about fifteen seconds to work out how to shut Brian up and wind down several wrong windows. When I found the right one the driver shouted ‘you had a plant tray on the roof! It blew off, back there!!’ and drove off at the green light. I had managed to forget to put the tray of beetroot seedlings in the boot.

I drove back round the block and saw the tray in the gutter outside Aldi. I parked and went to retrieve it. No beetroot seedlings inside. The tray must have hit the ground, jettisoned the plants and then blown along the road in the strong breeze. I spent ten minutes walking up and down the road looking, but it was no good. I drove back home, grumbling at myself all the way. It wasn’t so much the 10p - I can probably still scrape together enough for a nightly bowl of gruel for the rest of the week - more the thought of my poor little rescue plants coming to a sticky end on the dual carriageway. And even worse was the grim realisation that I now seem to do something equally stupid and memory-lapse based several times a week.
On the plus side in a few weeks someone may be marvelling at what self seeds along side the dual carriageway.

British heart foundation came to collect some furniture , rejected some so had to smash up some

Watching the little one just on the cusp of crawling , amazing to see the change so fast ...might have start moving stuff out the way

Shot at clays over at Bisley, then picked up one of my rifles after it had a new barrel fitted, then on the way home round the M25 the exhaust backbox parted company with the rest of the system. (I got to the hard shoulder first!)

at the dentist again to talk over a treatment plan for my tooth with the temporary filling - booked in for root canal........£££

A rare trip to the office for a meeting with my Business Partner and the Accountants. The old saying 'Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is reality' certainly struck home. Accounts on paper mean nothing if everyone pays you late! My business partner does nothing day to day, he runs another company but I don't think I'd still be in business without him. Anyway, 2 years in and I'm still in the game.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back