advertisement

TOASTERS

MikeMA

pfm Member
My nice old Russell Hobbs 9206-40 has just given up the ghost. It must be at least twenty years old so doesn't owe me anything. I'd buy another but it doesn't seem to be available anymore and the closest looking equivalents are either out of stock, unavailable in the UK , or have rubbish reviews on Amazon.

I thought I might splash out on something a bit more expensive but even Dualit stuff gets loads of rubbish reviews and doesn't look worth the high prices charged.

My requirements are simple; the toaster must be:
  • 2 slots;
  • Chrome or stainless steel;
  • reliable;
  • preferably not Chinese rubbish.
What would the pfm posse recommend?

musical-fidelity-a100.jpg
:rolleyes: It lacks some chrome though :p

The girlfriend just buys the one she likes the look of, and even though they get used a lot, they've always lasted years. I normally do as much research as possible when I buy anything, but I don't bother with kettles and toasters.

I found a dualit from the '80s on eBay last year in really great condition for 40 quid. Hasn't missed a beat and as others mentioned easy to service if I need to.

My nice old Russell Hobbs 9206-40 has just given up the ghost. It must be at least twenty years old so doesn't owe me anything. I'd buy another but it doesn't seem to be available anymore and the closest looking equivalents are either out of stock, unavailable in the UK , or have rubbish reviews on Amazon.

I thought I might splash out on something a bit more expensive but even Dualit stuff gets loads of rubbish reviews and doesn't look worth the high prices charged.

My requirements are simple; the toaster must be:
  • 2 slots;
  • Chrome or stainless steel;
  • reliable;
  • preferably not Chinese rubbish.
What would the pfm posse recommend?

1. Get one from somewhere where you can easily return it. You may think that toasters can't be a problem, but they can. I had one which popped up with such force the toast was thrown across the room, sometimes into the bin, sometimes behind furniture. You won't know until you try it out.

2. Get a cheap one. For the past five years I've been using this, it's wonderful. This is a much better option than a serviceable expensive one -- when it breaks, you put it in the bin and buy another.

Infapower X551 2 Slice Toaster - White : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought a four slot Breville toaster from Aldi earlier on this year, think it was about £25 and is pretty good, there's a defrost switch on each pair of slots plus a toasting range for different shades of toast on each pair of slots too, I bought the matching kettle for £16.

The reviews for the Dualit toasters are shockingly bad BTW I was going to buy one but at the price I certainly wasn't taking a chance on it, quality control seems to be pretty bad now as is customer service.

Joke aside, we’ve had a Philips toaster for many years, not sure whether they’re still made though.

Good Evening All,

We have had a four slot Dualit and my other half has been a critic of it since Day One (20yrs now). I persevere with it as a, stubborn, matter of principal but, TBH, it isn't perfect and never was.

I've repaired it once but it has never really evenly toasted the bread put in it........

Just had Kate send me this from Which:-

AWcC2S4.jpg

Regards

Richard

Not all Dualit toasters can be serviced as I found out to my cost, the Lite range cannot have the element changed.

I bought a Hitachi, the OP said he preferred not ‘Chinese rubbish’. Mine is made in China (are Dualits now?) and has been perfect. 20% of the price of a two slice Dualit.

We’ve got a 4 slot DeLonghi which is absolutely brilliant. Really controllable and produces perfect toast every time once you get its settings right. Its frozen bread setting works perfectly, too, which is a rarity.

It is Chinese-made but doesn’t seem to be rubbish. We’ve had it three years and it has so far failed to explode, break or burn the house down, which is nice. We’ve even got the matching kettle.

Similar to this one here:
https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/ctoc4003-bl-icona-capitals-toaster/p/CTOC4003.BL

Two slot dualit here, bought 24yrs ago. Replaced elements at some point. Needs a new timer now, but at least doesn't need adding to landfill.

Dualit. As above, over 25 years old, still looks great and parts available. No fancy controls, manual up down and timer. The Naim of the toaster world (runs for cover).

Make sure the slots are deep enough for normal sized bread. We bought a nice looking one which only toasts 90% of the slice so I have to halve the time & invert. Rather annoying.

I bought a Dualit, 2 slice, about 2 years ago, on some kind of deal, but can't remember how much it knocked off the full price. My first toaster.

I would not buy sliced bread if you paid me and suspect that that may be a fair chunk of the hassle - VERY variable across the board - the toaster needs as much watching as does putting bread under the grill and is far more variable. The only plus - the toaster is safer, just about.

Another Dualit fan here. Ours is a four-slot, two of the slots are extra-wide with carriers to make toasted sandwiches or take extra-wide slices.
It's pretty ancient, needed a couple of new elements a while ago, but makes excellent toast. Simple timer, no pop-up mechanism. Bulletproof.

advertisement

Back