advertisement

TL Pro 9 speakers, Peerless driver.

stevec67

pfm Member
I have a pair of these, in distinctively used condition, from a sadly now deceased friend. I've replaced the bass driver on one with a similar replacement and it works well. The other has a faulty mid, I think they are Peerless drivers.
1. How do I identify them?
2. Can you get replacements or equivalents?
Secondly, the speakers are fitted with 3 pots each that allow you to fine tune the crossover response. These are seized up. Will contact spray and a good wiggle with a pair of pliers free them up? (Yes, I know that I can simply try this). Alternatively, if this means that they aren't worth bothering with, please advise and I will establish what values they are ane renew them.

Dave reports that when these first came into his possession 15-20 years ago they sounded better than his Tannoy Lancater 15s, and I believe him. They still sound good now with the pots awry and a dead mid on one channel. They have to be worth resurrecting.

Last edited:
53591510910_d999f5506d_c.jpg

Fantastic, thanks dazz. Mine are the 4 ways with the 12" Dalesford bass not the Kef B139 . However they do have the same kid and it seems that Wilmslow offer a replacement. I still have the pots to wrestle with, but that's coming.

Ha that wont be a chris rogers pro9 then it could be imf or an actual Wilmslow kit that you have.

Ha that wont be a chris rogers pro9 then it could be imf or an actual Wilmslow kit that you have.
Interesting. My pal , who did the research and knew big speakers inside out, told me that the TL Pro 9 came in 2 versions, a 3 way with the Kef and the 4 way I have. Mine are DIY, whether they were a lot of plans I don't know. They are hugely heavy, probably 60kg each. Seriously. I may give Wilnslow a call.

There are two versions mk1 and mk2 both can be 4 way with coles (super) tweeter mainly the mk1's but both use the kef b139 racetrack driver, the crossovers were made by falcon acoustics and the speakers were hifi answers diy kit . The pdf in the link above is for the mk 2 it talks about the history and development of the diy kit ...badger audio supplied them even fully built i believe .
If anyone reading this has a pair (pref mk2) of these big old useless (nobody wants big speakers anymore) i may be able help you get rid of them :)

There are two versions mk1 and mk2 both can be 4 way with coles (super) tweeter mainly the mk1's but both use the kef b139 racetrack driver, the crossovers were made by falcon acoustics and the speakers were hifi answers diy kit . The pdf in the link above is for the mk 2 it talks about the history and development of the diy kit ...badger audio supplied them even fully built i believe .
If anyone reading this has a pair (pref mk2) of these big old useless (nobody wants big speakers anymore) i may be able help you get rid of them :)
I've seen the versions with B139, in fact my friend's brother has a pair made up in beautiful cabinets that he was making as part of a business venture a little while ago. He bought them on the strength of hearing the ones that I now own. They are slightly different, but the version with the Dalesford 12" circular bass driver in place of the B139 is, I'm assured, one of the variant designs.

advertisement

Back