advertisement

Tired of bookshelfs

I did, you're right, but decided to design my own a while back. Took time to perfect but i think the result is outstanding. Much better than the SM100s in every single aspect.

ProAc could not sell a pair of speakers for less than £5k if they used drivers as expensive as the ones you did put into your diy speakers. No surprise that you find the result outstanding!

I’ve never heard Isobariks properly but the aesthetics would rule them out for me, they look like they were built in a shed (like many 70s speaker designs I suppose). I love the way some of the big ATC and Herbeth speakers look though, they know how to get the fit and finish right... and Harbeth Monitor 40s sound pretty good too, not had much time to for an opinion on big ATCs.

You're lucky then!

You're lucky then!
I’ve never had much desire to. I remember when they were cheap and described as “poor by comparing to newer models”... then they started to gain a cult following, prices exploded accordingly and my interest fell away completely.

I bought an original Nait, along with a Rega Planar 3, some 90s Marantz CD player and some Arcam speakers for £180. I only wanted the deck built checked everything else out. It sounded fine, but very limited in terms of power (that mattered as an 18 year old rocker), I sold the lot on minus the deck for £150 and calling it a win. If anyone had told me the amp would sell for £500+ a short few years later, I’d have launched my head off... so I’m wary of “cult” products.

I’ve never had much desire to. I remember when they were cheap and described as “poor by comparing to newer models”... then they started to gain a cult following, prices exploded accordingly and my interest fell away completely.

I bought an original Nait, along with a Rega Planar 3, some 90s Marantz CD player and some Arcam speakers for £180. I only wanted the deck built checked everything else out. It sounded fine, but very limited in terms of power (that mattered as an 18 year old rocker), I sold the lot on minus the deck for £150 and calling it a win. If anyone had told me the amp would sell for £500+ a short few years later, I’d have launched my head off... so I’m wary of “cult” products.

Having bought a Leak Stereo 20 for the princely sum of £20, about what they were going for in 1981 or so, I thought I'd made a killing when I sold it (grudgingly, I had to have the money for a repair to my motorbike at the time) for an amazing £80 about ten years later... It then took several years before I could get a replacement St20 but got one for nowt in the end.

Never been a fan of floorstanders either, whether they be ones I've spent £15K on or DIY for a faraction of the price.
I think I've found the perfect balance with my own designed large-ish standmount using VOLT's BM228.8 and ScanSpeak D2905/990000 (the Relevator) in a 21.5L 38Hz port tuned cabinet.

Hi Cereal KIller

is this a Wilmslow Audio Rondo speaker ?

did you make / design the crossover by yourself ?

regards

@wpm I have wilmslow build them, yes. But they are not based on anything they sell. the closest WA design would be the SM108's. I did the cabinet design, size (21.5L) and port tuning (38Hz).
The crossovers were spec'd by me but again built and simulated by WA as Neil has years of experience with both drivers (individually, but never together), i wanted a finished cabinet and they offer a complete build at a fixed price on top of a 'flat packed price'.
I've recently changed the internals a little with some Atlas Ascent OCC cabling and reorganising/tidying up of the circuit layout to great effect, allowing my to nearly half the internal cabling path.

I've recently been been toying with the idea of trying the Seas Exotic http://www.seas.no/index.php?option...e&id=346:x3-06-exotic-t35&catid=56&Itemid=248

Reactions: wpm
Back in the early 80's I spent several months traveling through Asia and upon my return to the UK I needed a hifi magazine fix to amuse me while I traveled home on the Tube from Heathrow. In the copy of Hifi Answers I bought there was a review of some big ProAc Studio Monitors that the reviewer liked so much he actually purchased them with his own money. These must be good I thought and headed for the ProAc room at the Penta Show held a couple of moths later to hear what all the fuss was about. Upon arrival the monitors were being played and I was not that impressed. Just as I got up to leave they switched over to the original Tablettes and I was smitten. I could not believe the sounds coming out of such a small box I had to have a pair.
Eventually I bought a secondhand pair and so began a long journey involving stands, cables, bi-amping etc until I got them sounding just right. People used to ask where the sub woofer was when playing tracks like the 12" single Annihilation mix of Two Tribes. These much abused Tablettes lasted me for over 20 years including a move to Oz when I emigrated.
They were finally ousted when I moved house and decided I needed new speakers. I went from the sublime to the ridiculous - they were replaced by a pair of Chinese speakers that stand nearly 5ft tall, have 12" woofers and weigh in at 55Kgs each! All for the modest sum of $799 AUS (about 500 quid) I now have 2 more octaves at the bottom end and they take up the same amount of room that the Tablettes on stands did. I don't think I could go back to so called bookshelf speakers.

advertisement

Back