advertisement

Tips for viewing LCDs and electronic viewfinders in bright light?

If your shooting landscape where you are disciplined, tripod mounted shooting on a respectable full frame or even medium format camera, and setting up with filters etc, then I guess using a hood as on the traditional plate cameras would be the norm.
Other than that, use the view finder, ev, or squint :D:D

Don't try and take photos for a couple of hours either side of sun's zenith. Aye, ah know, some smart-ass's gonnae tell me that's only between Cancer and Capricorn but the principle 's the same...:cool:

Yeah, it could be my eyes but I do struggle a bit with either the LCD or the viewfinder in either the XT2 or the Q2. Especially with the Q2 since I manual focus and it's a bit tricky to do sometimes when the lighting conditions are bright or the light comes in at certain angles. A hood might make sense for tripod use, even if it will look very odd :)

I'm probably being over-critical, but it's the one aspect I miss from my SLR/dSLR days, since this was never a problem when using a mirror....

Use the EVF and make sure your eye is right up against it. If ambient light is really bright / intrusive, then cup your hands around the EVF as well, against the direction of light.

The XT2 has a good rubber outer housing around the EVF so should work fine in these situations. I certainly never had any problems with it when I owned one.

One of the big attractions for me with mirroless cameras was actually this use case. Reviewing images taken on a DSLR on the rear LCD was challenging, but the EVF solves this issue.

Lefty

I find my glasses get in the way a bit to be honest. And I did think about tethering, but that's another faff I don't need :)

I find my glasses get in the way a bit to be honest. And I did think about tethering, but that's another faff I don't need :)

Ah apologies - I hadn't factored glasses into the equation. My fault. Would it be possible to use the EVF diopter adjustment to dial the EVF to your prescription and then lift glasses up to view EVF without glasses?

There are third party EVF rubber surrounds that you can buy, but they tend to be shaped for use without glasses. Perhaps someone has made a glass friendly EVF surround. If not, they should!

Lefty

What about a focusing cloth? It works with a view camera. Shouldn't be difficult to cobble together something that drapes over your head and attaches to the edges of the camera.

advertisement

Back