advertisement

Tinnitus :(

Yeah - i do feel pretty sure it’s from headphones - well not even headphones but IEMs which I guess are worse.
Wish I’d stick with 64 audio as they have pressure release valves which might have kept it at bay.... who knows.
Think I’ll probably follow your advice, not the kind of theory I want to try and disprove as if I don’t - it’s too late :)

I have mild tinnitus and I've noticed it can get considerably worse after using headphones - IEMs, earbuds, full size cans - all can bring it on.

No idea why but tinnitus seems to be one of those conditions that is different for everyone. Lots of other things aggravate it too - tiredness being the main one.

Good news is that resting my ears and avoiding headphones for a bit calms it down. I have to wear headphones for work but I'm super careful with the volume. I never wear headphones out and about now.

Sorry to hear about your condition, Google 'Tinnitus and Covid'.

There appears to be a link between the two, either causing or exacerbating existing conditions.

My tinnitus started a little over 10 years due to a tumor being discovered in my left ear. It is still there and aggravates my tinnitus, especially at night, causing a restless night sometimes.

Mine wasn't bought on by anything other than that.

I now have, what they class as a "dead ear".

Nothing I can do sadly but please OP, get it seen to.

Part of the club here too sadly... Suspect mostly down to power tool use all my life without ear protection but did suffer with ear infections as a child... Luckily my brain generally filters it out but can be annoying in peaceful times!!

I have tinnitus, sounds like cicadas and a high pitched whine which sometimes pulsates..I also get visual snow which is apparently linked with tinnitus..the tinnitus is quite loud and I hear it all the time..I dont have days where it goes away..also it never gets quieter..full on all day and all night! First thing is ..its not in your ears..its in your brain..you must understand this!! The noise in your ears is coming from. Your brain not your ears..secondly there is no cure..dont waste your money on so called treatments..those in ear defenders which cut down the high frequencies will help a bit..wear them all day as you never know when a ambulance howls past you or some thoughtless git screams past your car on their motorbike when you have your window down..what happens then is it exacerbates the tinnitus so its then really bad as opposed to merely miserable? The in ear defenders like bananaz will help..weirdly the tinnitus is like a ghost noise as i an hear through it quite well..its mostly in my left ear..all we can do is hope the brainy ones can get a cure one day for tinnitus..they got a vaccine pretty quick for covid..I suspect if the brainy ones had tinnitus as loud as mine possibly a cure might come even quicker? My advice is try not to dwell on it..yes I know easier said than done....try thinking of your tinnitus as in a bubble just outside of your ear..and keep it there..dont let it back in....hope this helps a bit.

I developed tinnitus 15 months ago after a loud gig. It affected my mental health badly for some time, it was a living hell.
The good news is my brain did eventually get used to it, and most people's do.

My daughter is an audiologist and she tells me some people are affected badly by the noise, and to others it is not bothersome, and most people move toward the latter to some degree.

Your tinnitus, though not yet loud, is a warning to you. It is important to avoid headphones apart from at low volume. If you go to gigs buy some moulded ACS attenuators - ear plugs that reduce the dB level by 10-30 dB depending on the model, they don’t affect the frequency response so are great for music. When playing music keep it under 80db for long listening, short dynamic peaks toward 90db are ok. Close-field listening is a great idea. I have a pair of amazing Boenicke W5 speakers, which are very small, on my desk, and the 3D sound scape that they create is just incredible. Way better than headphones.

The good news is it should not get worse as long as you PROTECT YOUR EARS!

Good luck.

I like the above post, cheers duckworp, mine gets worse as my blood pressure rises which is possibly why meditation and yoga work for some of you.

Thanks Duckworp - and for the speakers recommendation too :) I always liked the look of them

I have no idea how to check the decibel rating with IEMs / headphones? Any ideas?

I just checked with my speakers downstairs and 60db is quite loud for me.

I don’t feel like I would gone much higher than that very often for very long with IEMs but not sure if it equates / is perceived the same volumes

About 20 years ago I was going to be involved in a clinical trial using gingko biloba, but I moved house before it started.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for about 15 years. It comes and goes slightly, loud noises set it off as can alcohol. I find Ginkgo Biloba helps quite a bit, in combination with keeping my ears away from loud noises I can pretty much eradicate it.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for about 15 years. It comes and goes slightly, loud noises set it off as can alcohol. I find Ginkgo Biloba helps quite a bit, in combination with keeping my ears away from loud noises I can pretty much eradicate it.

That sounds positive.

What dosage of Ginkgo do you take to get such an effect?

That sounds positive.

What dosage of Ginkgo do you take to get such an effect?

Ha - good question. I used a standard dose of 120mg for years with one of the more expensive brands (could even be most expensive). I then went for one of the cheaper mega-dose products (like 6,000mg or something). I didn't notice it was more or less effecting but after a certain amount of months I started having issues with dizziness. I couldn't directly relate the dizziness to the Ginkgo but it was enough to stop me taking it for a number of years. I'm now happily back on 120mg. Happy to pm anyone who wants the brand, a clue is it has a Y where a G usually goes in the name.

Thanks Duckworp - and for the speakers recommendation too :) I always liked the look of them

I have no idea how to check the decibel rating with IEMs / headphones? Any ideas?

I just checked with my speakers downstairs and 60db is quite loud for me.

I don’t feel like I would gone much higher than that very often for very long with IEMs but not sure if it equates / is perceived the same volumes

Very difficult to measure IEM dB. Headphones is possible but you need a calibrated mic device and preferably a polystyren head with the ears cut out and the headphones in place and the mic in the ear cut out. Quite a pain. There was a study on a 2006 ipod which measured full volume at 110 db or thereabouts. That study concluded the following safe listening levels:
Earbud: at 70% volume 6 hours; at 80% volume 1.5 hours; 90% vol 20 mins; 100% 5 mins
iphone earbuds: as above but 20% less listening time
over-ear headphones: 70% 20 hours; 80% 5 hours; 90% 1 hour; 100% 18 mins
noise cancelling isolator inserts (not sure what these are): half the time of Earbuds.

So if you have an old ipod you could compare with whatever it is you use to check equivalent sound pressures.

If I listen in a silent place it is there but never intrusive elsewhere. I just think it’s something that comes with age; like not hearing the grasshoppers you see. My wife occasionally gets woken by it in the middle of the night, but it passes like cramp, quickly. Some peeps are driven to near suicide by it.

I like the way my iPhone started warning me recently and automatically turning the volume down - it was only a few weeks before I started to hear tinitus.

problem is I’m going through an external DAC amp with iPhone set to 100% and controlling volume on the other device - so iPhone has no way of knowing how loud it really is, hence me ignoring it! :)

I don’t have an old iPod unfortunately - will have to gauge rough feeling versus my speakers I guess, if I do decide to continue with headphones at all.

If I listen in a silent place it is there but never intrusive elsewhere. I just think it’s something that comes with age; like not hearing the grasshoppers you see. My wife occasionally gets woken by it in the middle of the night, but it passes like cramp, quickly. Some peeps are driven to near suicide by it.

Yeah I’m really not complaining - I’m lucky to catch it so early and have the rough knowledge to know it’s not something to mess with.

Your post reminds of of when I had slight vertigo and had to sit down now and again till it passed.... I read some people it’s so bad they just throw up all the time from the room spinning so much all the time!!

My vertigo can be so bad I can only crawl to the bathroom on my knees, constantly falling over as I go, and I cannot see because the room is just flicking backwards and forwards.

Jesus sounds awful!
I had to lie down for mine to let it pass while I had it - a bit like going to bed drunk and having to let the room spin for a minute or 2!
Fingers crossed it’s not come back since those few months - now several years ago

advertisement

Back