advertisement

Tinnitus and slight hearing loss means goodbye to my beloved system

Yes...I should have mentioned that I was also diagnosed with hyperacusis...this is a high sensitivity to loud and high frequency sounds...it is actually painful and for example...the clashing of plates and dishes is especially unpleasant. I now struggle with louder volume music too.

Anybody on this site struggling with these issues should check out - http://tinnitus.org/.

The book can be technical but is worth perservering. Even better if you can see Jacqueline Shelldrake go. I had some sessions with her for Tinnitus/Hyperacusis and she really is gold. I had all the problems with plates, sharp noises etc. I still have issues here and there but for the most part I don't even think about it and my hiFi is still hightly enjoyable!

My advice would be to visit an audiologist. Boots or spec savers offer a service. I have been suffering from some hearing problems and thought that it was due to a longstanding ent condition coupled with a regular build-up of earwax.

One operation and a dewax later and the culprit really is my hearing. I had the tests done and was not happy at the results. I had basically been in denial for some time.

I have to say that I have been impressed with their service. The hearing aids are not cheap but are almost infinitely tweakable and after my 3rd session I’m getting to the point that I hardly notice that I am wearing them. They are also quite discreet - they are not immediately obvious.

I’m still in the “testing” phase with respect to listening to music but my guitars now sound a lot different to what the did a couple of Mo the ago.

The only downside is that I can’t give Mrs S a deaf’un as she knows I can hear her !

once again, I would certainly recommend an audiologist but please consider all of the options given on this thread one of them might be the solution. Don’t sell the kit in a hurry !

Hi, as most of the op's, say's, tinnitus is like having a bad knee when you get older, we all have one, thing is, have a open house before you sell, one last goodby, as i said i have tinn, aswell , mostly when i go to sleep music takes it away, as you are concentrating on something else, the price of used /pre loved hifi is shocking, hold onto it, love those speakers, what a finish

Oh lordy lord , how sad is this , You get a system thats up there then have to part company with it , So sad , The speakers and amps look fantastic

I do hope you find something else to help you cope with parting with this system

Hi All

There have been threads on here previously about hearing loss and tinnitus...I have been a sufferer for many years although I battled through when it came to my love of my HiFi and music.

However, over the last year or so, it has become obvious to me that I can't enjoy listening to music as I used to. It has got to the point where I have decided to part with my entire high end system as I can't now justify it...and hopefully others will be able to give it the home it deserves.

I may just invest in a decent smaller budget system later...but my days of sitting in front of a big HiFi are over.

If anyone is interested...I will be creating some ads in "Classifieds" shortly.

Thank you for reading.

Kind Regards

Andrew

20170822_170047 by Andrew Zeglicki, on Flickr

Not really it all depends I am 68 and have had tinnitus for over a decade and it varies in intensity depending on a bunch of factors. I can enjoy my system but the insane volumes of my youth are no more. Something about the baby and the bath water is more than appropriate at this time. Hang in there!

Several months ago I was diagnosed with a hearing condition known as hydrops and was given the appropriate medications (Apotriazide and Betaserc).

They didn't really work but the doc basically shrugged his shoulders and said no one knows what causes hydrops, and advised me to avoid certain foods, including caffeine. I was still able to enjoy my systems but only at lower volumes. Like yourself Andrew, I also contemplated selling off my gear and downsizing.

Fast forward a few months and I fell desperately ill in December, spent 3 days in bed. The loss of appetite led to drastic drop in weight (about 6kg) ....and a return of my hearing. Apparently weight gain can affect one's hearing - who knew? Anyway, have spent the past 2 months making sure my weight doesn't creep up!

Amazed at number of replies from chronic tinnitus sufferers. I thought severe trauma, like my head injury was most likely to cause it. (Though obviously loud gigs and even medication can cause it) It’s a curse for people who enjoy music and audio!
Lying in my hospital bed at the moment, having had a ‘successful’ revision right ear stapedotomy. I have the linkage back between ear drum and inner ear. Hurrah! Goodbye to my conspicuous bone anchored hearing aid. Welcome back to my headphones, and stereo imagery!!
Then thought what a waste of time because, as I’m also an asthma sufferer, I’ll probably be killed off next week by the corona virus.
So any other Pinkfishers out there with tinnitus, and another disorder, eg breathing problems, and being in a certain age group. Don’t worry because you’ll soon all be dead!
Now then? That’s cheered you all up, and put it into perspective hasn’t it?

advertisement

Back