advertisement

Time To Get Funked Right Up!

rod

beach bum
Right y'all,

I already have Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove, and have been spurred into action here by a P Funk live show from '76.

Given the prolific output of the P Funk family, I am looking for the choice cuts, say three or four albums that I should definitely have, from the back catalogue.

(yet another case of free internet music making me buy the band's stuff)

Funk it!!!

PS. Given that George is still touring, does he ever make it to this side of the pond?

Parliament - Mothership Connection.

I saw George at the Town & Country Club in Leeds in the early 90s. It was a very strange gig...

Hi,

The good thing is that there are many titles from the Funkadelic' / Parlement back catalogue still on offer. George Clinton produced some weird and wonderful stuff.

Get the following as a starter. Along with One nation under a groove, look at,

Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
Mothership Connection - Parliament
Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome - Parliaments

Also there is the

Urban Dancefloor Guerillas - P funk allstars. This is the usual Funkadelic/Parlement crew under a different name.

For George Clinton solo stuff, start off with "Computer games". This was his first solo album from 1982. It's a corker.

These should give you a excellent taster.

There are plenty of compliations to be had. Look at

"Music for your mother" & "Funkeadelic's finest", for good examples of the art.

Dean

My fav funkadelic is free your mind. Title track supposedly done in one take on copious amounts of acid. I wish I could play like that when I was that twisted.

A while ago MOJO magazine did a p-funk buying guide.

Their recommended starting point was double live album Live, by The P Funk Allstars. This has a rockin' performance from a really huge band.

I wholeheartedly second Dean's recommendation for Maggot Brain, the title track is one of the high points in the entire wonderful history of black American music. An absurdly good track.

Tony.

Thanks for the pointers, this should sort my funk out.

Currently on order:

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain & Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
Parliament - Mothership Connection & Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome

Funk'n'roll

Martin M said:
Parliament - Mothership Connection.

I saw George at the Town & Country Club in Leeds in the early 90s. It was a very strange gig...
Was that the one with a band member in a big nappy? I was there.

Rod

It's great stuff, isn't it!

You have to get Maggot Brain, it's worth it just for 'Can you get to that".

I've got a fair bit of Funkadelic, not much Parliament. You might want to check out the compilation, "Music for Your Mother", a double CD of all the singles and B-sides. Not very coherent, like most compilations (excepting the Robert Wyatt EPs set methinks) but a good survey of their stuff to direct future purchasing. Then there's (pre-Funkadalic) The Parliaments, that's a whole 'nutha strut entirely.

John

I would have loved to see them live at the height of their outrageousness, but would settle for any tour over here. Here's hoping.

I still have an unused do-it-yourself-with-an-iron T-shirt print thing from a Parliment live LP with the slogan 'Get funk to heaven in -77'!

As a disco freak of that time I would loved to have seen them live.

JohanR

Hi Si,
Thanks for the advice, but not if that "Walk The Dinosaur" thing is anything to go by, I really did not like that.

advertisement

Back