advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

88 Sporty with a 2001 Buell lightning motor

FD4-CC6-DC-719-E-47-DA-BD0-E-DCEEAB95-EF21.jpg

Those are all cracking looking machines Darren :)

The Buell engined Sporster has potential as a right hooligan machine!

Those are all cracking looking machines Darren :)

The Buell engined Sporster has potential as a right hooligan machine!
Thanks, I really enjoyed building them, the Sporty was a proper hooligan, far too much poke for the frame, over 120 Bhp at the rear wheel on the Dyna, lightweight too with the alloy rims, tank and fibreglass tailpiece, I high sided it and bent the frame and forks, oh well.
I'd like to build another using a late 90's Sportster 1200 Sport.
I think the sun's affected me šŸ˜€

I know you showed me pics of them before - but that bobbed FL is a glorious thing too. Almost makes me want to go and chop about 4" off the suspension travel front and rear on the FXR here :)

They're not "my thing" as a type of motorbike, but i definitely applaud the work and end results.

On that..managed to dig out a photo for the B-side of the FXR when it had the short shocks on it:

BFBe1wKh.jpg

I changed the shocks for 1.5" longer Progressives (in black) which helped with the ground clearance, and tightened the turn-in a bit - but it definitely looked leaner and lower with the old ones :(

Thanks @gez I like nearly all bikes, from C90's , motor x, sports, classics, , but I built these for me
@-alan- low is cool but the roads are shite (mostly) so a bit of ground clearance does no harm

One problem I recently came up against with old bikes - will they run on E10 fuel. I nearly bought a nice mint conditon low mileage 1996 Suzuki VX800 big V twin shaft drive that would have been a good cheap tourer. Until Suzuki UK told me a no no for E10 petrol. The few references I could find suggests it is a carburettor problem one reference saying ok up to 5000 revs and impossible to get it to 7000. So E5 petrol no thanks. Suzuki bikes seem prone to these issues it seems ( only 2002 on wards ok), where as eg Yamaha fine from 1990 on wards eg its 900s Diversion, which I hope to be getting soon

64954edb436099b417eed5fbb361

Always liked those VX800s. Very much an under the radar type of machine.

Odd that it wouldn't rev out on the E10. The E10 is octane rated at c.95, didn't think that would be a problem ?
I assumed the problem was more likely to be with the ethanol playing havoc with rubber seals in the carb and fuel lines.

Guess I should update my bike since my last post on this thread (ducati)
I have had a KTM 1260 superduke for the last year or so
Great bike...recommended!!

Guess I should update my bike since my last post on this thread (ducati)
I have had a KTM 1260 superduke for the last year or so
Great bike...recommended!!
KTM 1260 Superduke?

I had a 1290 Superduke a few years back, utter hooligan, glorious engine. Loved it right up until some young lady pulled off her driveway and knocked me and the bike across the road. (They don't crash well:eek:.)

Always liked those VX800s. Very much an under the radar type of machine.

Odd that it wouldn't rev out on the E10. The E10 is octane rated at c.95, didn't think that would be a problem ?
I assumed the problem was more likely to be with the ethanol playing havoc with rubber seals in the carb and fuel lines.

There was a US version ( it was designed for that market by them) and the manual says can use petrol less than 10% ethanol, but only says about 95 unleaded octane for the UK market as of course E10 didnt exist here then , so I dont think it is the seals. I was very disappointed when Suzuki told me NO! as I had found an almost mint one owner 10K miles machine in purple for just Ā£3000 here in the UK. Info abput E10 and this machine is amost non existant, that rev out info was just one owner report. The Uk govt website gives a list of makes that can use E10 and for Suzuki 1992-2002 some can and some cannot - no general rule. One thing apparantly they can pass ULEZ tests without modification - go figure that. A real crying shame cannot use normal petrol

:(

There was a US version ( it was designed for that market by them) and the manual says can use petrol less than 10% ethanol, but only says about 95 unleaded octane for the UK market as of course E10 didnt exist here then , so I dont think it is the seals. I was very disappointed when Suzuki told me NO! as I had found an almost mint one owner 10K miles machine in purple for just Ā£3000 here in the UK. Info abput E10 and this machine is amost non existant, that rev out info was just one owner report. The Uk govt website gives a list of makes that can use E10 and for Suzuki 1992-2002 some can and some cannot - no general rule. One thing apparantly they can pass ULEZ tests without modification - go figure that. A real crying shame cannot use normal petrol

:(
If you use Super UL does that solve it?

If you use Super UL does that solve it?

Well the report in question implied he moved over to using E5 and that was better. And Classic cars I undersntad run ok on E5. But who wants to use expensive fuel in a cheap bike and any way for a tourer ( thats what it is?) you dont want to be out in the sticks and no E5 only basic E10? ( super unleaded is E5 - are there any non-bio fuels now?)

https://www.suzuki800.com/t7885-e10-petrol

Well the report in question implied he moved over to using E5 and that was better. And Classic cars I undersntad run ok on E5. But who wants to use expensive fuel in a cheap bike and any way for a tourer ( thats what it is?) you dont want to be out in the sticks and no E5 only basic E10? ( super unleaded is E5 - are there any non-bio fuels now?)

https://www.suzuki800.com/t7885-e10-petrol
I don't want to spend more than I have to but Super UL isn't that much more over a year given your fixed costs. A lot of bikers run SUL anyway don't they? I'm looking for a solution, after all. Is there anywhere you can't get E5 or SUL? There are also the additive things to keep the seals good if using E10. Of course they aren't for nothing either but it's no different from the guys with old classics and soft valve seats having to add lead substitute to UL when 4* was withdrawn.

advertisement

Back