advertisement

Tidal Irritation!!!

MVJ

madvinyljunkie,Professional Plonker & PFM Member
Recently decided to get a streamer (Sonos) I am now 3 weeks in to my free 30 day trial of Tidal and finding my way around ok but finding it quite irritating to say the least!

When you search for an artist and bring up their albums you get a list of album covers & a title if your lucky but there is no other information or very little + the same album can appear several time with no indication what the difference is from one to the other not even release dates so if your looking for new material from an artist you have no idea when it was recorded/released.

For example Level42 have hundreds listed & many of them are duplicated lots & lots of times and this is repeated over & over with many artists and it is such a pain.

Am I missing something or searching wrong I feel that if this information is'nt there then Tidal just is not for me sadly and intend to cancel my subscription.

Are there better music servers that are more informative I can try if they do a free trial?????

Last edited:
You could try TIDAL's own app to find out whether this is a limitation of TIDAL itself or the Sonos implementation.

Same happens when using Linn Kazoo so I suspect it will be multi copies on Tidal's side not the Sonos or Linn app.

Having multiple versions of an album available could be a good thing, but ideally it would be easy to tell one version from another. I’m not sure how well the TIDAL API or Sonos’ UI handles that. I had a quick look at the documentation for an open source Python TIDAL library earlier. I couldn’t see anything which a client could easily use to flag up the differences between similar albums.

Recently decided to get a streamer (Sonos) I am now 3 weeks in to my free 30 day trial of Tidal and finding my way around ok but finding it quite irritating to say the least!

When you search for an artist and bring up their albums you get a list of album covers & a title if your lucky but there is no other information or very little + the same album can appear several time with no indication what the difference is from one to the other not even release dates so if your looking for new material from an artist you have no idea when it was recorded/released.

For example Level42 have hundreds listed & many of them are duplicated lots & lots of times and this is repeated over & over with many artists and it is such a pain.

Am I missing something or searching wrong I feel that if this information is'nt there then Tidal just is not for me sadly and intend to cancel my subscription.

Are there better music servers that are more informative I can try if they do a free trial?????
You are right, Tidal have always had a shoddily curated library. Even if there is any information, I wouldn’t trust it to be authoritative or accurate if you want to identify a particular master of an album, given how ramshackle the whole collection is.

You can see the different issues by swiping right in the app. So I can possibly five versions of Running In The Family, but I can also see the year of issue, the label etc. I think the blame rests with the label here though, the streaming service hosts what they are given. I’m glad though I can track down the original CD version of something like Propaganda’s A Secret Wish, the 1985 issue is on Qobuz, as is the awful remastering. It’s much harder on Tidal to differentiate.

Thanks everyone lots of good replies for me to consider.

Firstly I have in fact been doing things all wrong due to not being able to work out how to play my music thru the system when on tidal so thought I could only use Sonos to play my choices.

So I have been on Tidal & pushing buttons to see what they all do & found an icon like a speaker which gives me a choice of what to play the music thru so selected music room & bingo music coming out of my speakers.

I continued pushing buttons to discover a much more user friendly set up, still no dates of release but more background info can be found Result!.

I still think Tidal will get cancelled & give Qobuz a try via their free trial and see how that goes, Are their any others to consider??

Just found a list via Sonos of all sorts of music services I will peruse & try Deezer is on there :)

advertisement

Back