advertisement

Tick Treatment for Dogs

Copperjacket

pfm Member
Good afternoon All

This seems to be a particularly bad year for ticks and unfortunately our usual treatment doesn’t seem to provide adequate coverage.

Interested in experiences of tablet v topical treatment.

Can anyone recommend a particular product please?

We use Bravecto. Vet only though. We had a dog with fleas years ago and the vet said then they were immune to the over the counter stuff.

Only had 1 tick in the last 6 years with 2 very active dogs, and no fleas 👍

We also get Bravecto from our vets. Our dogs do a lot of walking in areas with lots of ticks and we've only had 1 so far in 5 years (and 1 on myself!).

I see our rivers are full of various chemicals including plenty from dog treatments. Let’s hope something a little friendlier appears sometime before we totally destroy them.

I see our rivers are full of various chemicals including plenty from dog treatments. Let’s hope something a little friendlier appears sometime before we totally destroy them.
My cure does not exactly fit your criteria, but mummy always used a fag to burn them off. She was a successful rough collie breeder a while back.

I am also concerned about the state of our rivers, especially the chalk streams.

We use Zoetis Revolution chewable tablets for fleas ticks and heartworm, I think it's known as Zoetis Simparica in the UK. Works really well for fleas and ticks, the over the counter ones are useless as fleas (and perhaps ticks) have become immune to those.

We've managed to find ticks and deal with them, but travelling abroad with them means we have to have proof. They now tell us that that the treatment is harmful to the water supply. Ok. I'm happy to help out with that, but where does this all end?

To be protective, the inecticide must be persistant - they are two sides of the same coin. Being persistant, they will be voided, probably via both routes (I cannot find details).

You cannot pick pee up, but no matter where you are always pick up turds, do not "stick it and flick it".

Bravecto is fluralaner, which you can look up on Wiki, or in detail here (free download) - https://www.researchgate.net/public...g_a_single_oral_or_intravenous_administration

Fluralaner is very similar to fipronil (which is banned????).

The link between wormer residues in livestock dung and loss of dung-disposers has been flagged-up for longer than I can remember, just the wormers have changed.

advertisement

Back