advertisement

Thunder storm

simeon

No fixed engagements
So, Friday night, about 2:30am there was a tremendous crash and lightning struck somewhere very close by. In the morning it turned out that it had hit the phone lines. It fried my modem-router AND fried a POE gigabit switch in the garage which is connected by ethernet and is around 100m away from the house. As well as that, the landline phones now don't work, although broadband does and has an uplink speed that is better than it usually is. How is this possible?

So, Friday night, about 2:30am there was a tremendous crash and lightning struck somewhere very close by. In the morning it turned out that it had hit the phone lines. It fried my modem-router AND fried a POE gigabit switch in the garage which is connected by ethernet and is around 100m away from the house. As well as that, the landline phones now don't work, although broadband does and has an uplink speed that is better than it usually is. How is this possible?

Maybe because everyone else has not yet replaced their fried modems, so bandwith contention is less.

Maybe because everyone else has not yet replaced their fried modems, so bandwith contention is less.

20090429_finger-in-socket.jpg

Where I live lightning storms happen about every other day on average. I take care to use and properly install decent lightning protectors. Your POE could have died from earth differences between buildings if there was a nearby strike

Where I live lightning storms happen about every other day on average. I take care to use and properly install decent lightning protectors. Your POE could have died from earth differences between buildings if there was a nearby strike[/QUOTE]

Also cables that leave and enter buildings should be protected with summat like a "gas tube arrester". This prevent induced high voltages from frying sensitive electronic devices. Lightening doesn't have to hit to cause a very high induced voltage nearby.

Cheers,

DV

A combination of robust but rather slow gas tubes, series resistance and a fast solid state clamp works best. Good earthing is essential and cable may have to be in metal conduits in extreme cases.

I design protection on telco towers, which get struck all the time

Similar thing happened here a week ago, huge bang, house shook and internet went off but phones were okay. Called Sky who sent out a BT engineer to test everything, ended up with a new router and all new wiring and box from the telegraph pole.

Well the phone guy came this morning and fixed the phone and the heat pump guy came this afternoon and nearly fixed the heating.

Here's a handy tip. If you have a home network and reserve and bind all the IP addresses to MAC addresses and fix the addresses on each piece of attached kit, don't rely on just backing up your router configuration. Because if you buy a different replacement router the backup won't work and it takes a very long time to figure out what is on which IP address when you can't access anything without typing in 192.168.1.n over and over again. I've written them all down now.

I don't understand any of this. So you're saying if Vlad the Impaler comes and smashes my back doors in, my home network is up the Swanny?

advertisement

Back