advertisement

Those who have moved on from Naim.....

My nait 5i is acting as a paper weight at the moment, my easier on the ear arcam solo mini is doing a sterling job at running the show.

Perreaux audiant dp32 preamp and matching power amp driving shahinnian obelisks.
More swing and no ear splitting treble.
Still have modified cds3

The integrated amp in my sig.

5 boxes down to 1, it's happier driving my speakers, I made a slight profit and it doesn't sound appreciably different.

I went from Naim to Densen to Dynavector to Rega and back to Naim again, don't know why I ever left. Just brilliant (to my ears & taste).

I used to use a Linn LP12 and a Beresford DAC with a Naim amp, PS, CD player and Credos. I moved to an integrated EAR V20 valve amp and teamed it up with Shahinian Arcs.

The change was so striking and pleasing I don't plan to go back to Naim, although their newish one-box solutions are good. Prior to Naim I used Linn amps and speakers.

I want to try some active ATC speakers and an Audio Note set-up in the future, mind you the latter in active mode is too expensive for me.

Jack

Over the years I have been back and forth, tubes in between, passive pre amp, ported stand mounts; there are things that all these solutions do extremely well and it's good to have an open mind and find out.

Each time though I go back.

And now I'll stay.

Naim plays music.

I'm a Naim enthusiast, ever since I first heard a Nait 2, back in 1993.

I've had practically all Nait's that have been there. (except for the Nait 5)
I have a love for typical British HiFi amps. My favorite Naim amp was/is the (CB) Nait 2. When it comes to pure musical enjoyment, this was/is THE amp to beat!

The only amp, that made me forget Naim to me is a Sonneteer Campion or Alabaster. That's why I got me a Sonneteer Campion. :)
(sold my beloved Nait XS for a Sonneteer Campion, which to me sounds more involving and cost about 45 % less)

Isn't that why you have a 52. ;)

And it is a trump card!

The 52 is very excellent. But it is far from perfect, and can be upgraded with good results. I am an oldskool Naim fan, the new stuff just sounds like anything else.

Curious? NAIM does not enjoy its fanaticism outside the United Kingdom - save for ex-pats who have taken their love of NAIM with them. Begs the question: would the level of loyalty and devotion be the same if NAIM's origins were not British?

I started with a Nait 5i and then progressed to a 200 and 202. I heard some EAR Yoshino amps and decided to give them a try, so I now have a 890 power amp and 864 preamp. Obviously there is a price difference there, but nevertheless overall the sound is significantly superior re: detail and imaging.

The best thing is the absence of the upgrade path especially the power supplies, which I eventually found tiresome and I am happy to be away from that stuff (I accept of course you can simply ignore that).

I enjoyed the Naim sound and my son now has the 200/202 in his flat, and they still sound pretty good to me.

All the best

Andy

Unreliability.

Naim rushed too many products out over the past 5-6 years (HDX, NDX, NaimDAC, UnitiServe, Uniti, UnitiQute, UnitiLite, SuperUniti, NDS, ND5XS, Uniti2, SN2...).

Shifted to Accuphase - not that much more expensive, but so much more reliable. And the class A sound...!

Hi Rob

Im so happy to be back especially with the CDS3 again (just on another totally different level - that the Densen can only dream about :p)

Thought you liked the 552 :rolleyes:

Best

Hi Mate.

Went for the L300/P300. Bought it off a guy in Oz for a great price. By the way I sold my HX1.2 mk2 and bought a HX100. Whenever you decide to spend a few more euros on kit you wouldn't be disappointed with one driving your Arcs. Night and day improvement over the 1.2. Talk about grip and drive. Fantastic. Hope you are happy with your set up now.

Best

Think this is in the right order:

1) SBLs to Dynaudio Confidence 5s
2) 52/Supercap to Tom Evans Vibe/Pulse
3) CDX/XPS to Acoustic Precision Eikos
4) 135s to Bel Canto Reference 1000s ( coz the 135s struggled to drive the Dyns otherwise they would have stayed)

Still really rate Naim gear that I've heard (not much of most recent stuff) but there is no doubt it is getting quite pricey but that is true of most of the stuff out there.

Curious? NAIM does not enjoy its fanaticism outside the United Kingdom - save for ex-pats who have taken their love of NAIM with them. Begs the question: would the level of loyalty and devotion be the same if NAIM's origins were not British?

Not a chance.

CDS2/XPS > Densen B-400XS
52/Super > Densen B-250 > Pioneer C-21
135s > Densen B-350s > Pioneer M-22
Prefix > Dynavector P-75 > Pioneer C-21

Still have 'Geddon, ARO and NAIT2.
Edited for current and preferred set-up.

I never got on with the CDS2. I still think I got a dud.

I really liked the 52/135s. I have the NAIT2 to remind me what I like about Naim. The vintage Pioneers are sublime. They put the mighty Densens to shame in many ways except for outright power and the convenience of a remote.

advertisement

Back