advertisement

Those who have moved on from Naim.....

the problem with a thread like this is that it just as easily been 'Those who have moved on from Linn.....' or ' Those who have moved on from [insert the hi-fi company of your choice here]. '

It's just a brand.

Have you been on the Naim forum at all? Naim is good stuff, it is almost a religion. I was die hard Naimee for years, I also still own an LP12 which gets little use these days. I just like having a system that does what a few rungs up the Naim ladder would do for less money and getting off the merry go round. Having said that I would like to get a Teddy U2S and hear his phono stage.

I still have a Naim system but moved on with my main system.

I heard a friends system and realised I was missing too much music.

From the front end
Rega Isis, easily out performed the CDX2 (which I must sell as well as the previous CDX !)
Pass Labs Pre easily out performed the 82 - and so it should at the price
(must sell my HiCaps soon too)

Chord Power amp out performed a 500

Standard Naim interconnects and mains cables outperformed by various Kimber that I upgraded.

All in sound quality

Mike
Which Chord power amp, please. Did you try this while you had other Naim equipment? Reason I ask is that I'll never be able to afford a 500 but sometimes wonder whether my 135s have quite enough of what I'm after.
Thanks
Mick

Mick

Chord SPM 1200E

This was after I got the Pass Labs Pre amp so I don't know how it would behave with a lower spec Pre.
Mike

Sold my 282/hicap/200/headline+psu and all its various mains and interconnect leads. I have been a Naim user(always amplifiers) since 1989. Have replaced it with a Chord Electronics CPM2650 integrated. More detal,more 3 dimensional. It just seemed to suit my music tastes better.Although I was always happy with the Naim sound,I have no regrets about replacing it with the Chord, indeed I'm sorry I didn't do it years ago. Still use my Ikemi and Katans,need to think about a replacement for them soon.
George

I have a `geddon and ARO since they appeared on the market. Tried and owned alot of other Naim stuff along the way. Now TP amplification and no desire to return to Naim.

I had a Naim 42/110 amp and I loved it, great little amp, tried a bigger one, think it was a 132, but I wasn't as keen, moved on to NVA pre Albarry M408 and now I'm full blown Albarry, no where else to go IMHO.

enjoy your music

Al

I had some old dynaudio image mkII with a nait 5I....one of my woofers render its soul....that brought me into a journey of upgrades...Found some totem forest second hand at super good price, and brought them home....these are power hungry and the 5I could not supply the required power to drive them. The bass was loose, the image suffered and dynamics also....so, went in to trade the 5I to a XS2 demo....the sound was more refined then the 5i but the bass was bloated and created a big mess...so, brought it back to the store and exchanged for a Hegel H100....ahhh, much better. I was happy, but felt something still missing in the sound...it was a bit veiled in the highs, and bass needed some cleaning....so i upgraded the speaker cables from chord carnival to nordost blue heaven ls...again a demo pair, well broken in...all the gear i buy, i buy demos....same garantee, cheaper, and already burned in...Love my hifi shop :)....anyways, the speaker cables brought the sound to another level...made me wonder about my interconnects...so, changed them also...went from cardas 300-d to all nordost, including power cables, digital...that, for me fine tuned everything to my liking...i now enjoy the music i am listening to very much...all aspect of the sound pouring in my listening room is to my satisfaction...:)

I moved away from Naim and Linn because I wanted a less processed and more natural sound which would make more of my LP and CD collection sound good. I found it in WT/DV/SH. I'm know several other hifi owners who have found the same. This old rocker didn't die he just developed a more subtle palate!

You can't knock the second hand availability, resale values and back up service that is found with Naim though. With plenty of dealers as well it's easy to see why Naim's popularity is still high.

135s out; E.A.R. valved monoblocs in. 552 stays, Superline stays (for now) and 01 stays until FM dies or I do.

Definitely a move on sonically but probably sideways physically.

Went to Naim (1989 CB Nait 2)
Left Naim (1993 for Exposure X)
Went back to Naim (2008 72/Hi/180)
Left Naim (2008 for all sorts of stuff)
Went back to Naim a couple of weeks ago (42.5/Hi/110)

Started with the original Nait in 1983. Moved over several years to a 52/250 via most of the range. Sold the amps, a high spec LP12, CDS and SBLs to but the bass of my dreams (i can't describe it any other way). Bass had to go and back on the Naim ladder. Ended up with. CDX2/ndac/202/150 MS20s. Took a punt on a Teddycap plus (thank you Linntroika) and no looking back from there.

Now running Rega P9 / Goldring 250 / SBT / Vortexbox / Ttouch / Tdac-vc / PR1 / MB100s. My only upgrade itch is for the Teddy U2S, Teddy phono perhaps a new cartridge and possibly a replacement for The IBLs. Would I ever go back to Naim ? No because the upgrade cycle costs too much money for too little in return. My favourite Naims were the Nait and a 42.5 / Hicap /160. Both amps were very musical but neither were perfect. I really should have stopped with the latter.

advertisement

Back