Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thorens v Rega

Discussion in 'classic' started by gassor, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

As a young 'n I had the then "best buy" Grado FCE+1 which IIRC cost me only around £15 and it was bloody marvellous!
    Years later and with much better equipment I dug it out and tried it again and was stunned how good it actually was... there may be some rose tinted specs here and it was a long time ago but I recall it being literally one of the best MM's I've ever heard!
    About 20 year back though I got a prestige black given... I had big expectations after the FCE+1 years before... Bloody awful! Dynamics of wet cardboard and seemed like not much going on above about 12KHz! Yuk!

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Jez, was that the grey one? Could well be the one I had later on.

3. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I actually made enquiries at Jico, who said there was no demand. They also said they'd be happy to oblige if I would cough-up to fund the tooling! - which did make me laugh but at least that's honest :)

Expert is a good shout - very important to change just the tip and not the whole cantilever assembly.

Yep, a good Grado reminds me of a Decca. A bit coloured but incredibly lively and vibrant.

4. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Grados are copies of SP B&O cartridges, themselves very good.
    It’s a shame you can’t buy good stylii these days.
    I have an F1+ I can’t use: dull, dull, dull.

5. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yep grey.

7. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

I found and bought two of these, new old stock, from a Canadian website a year or so ago, I love them. Always preferred them back in the 70's and 80's to m75and vms20E. Sounded louder and fresher and more immediate. like the difference between a 45 and an LP.

8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Good 774’s don’t become available that often.

Robert likes this.
  9. Robert

Robert Tapehead

....and when you find one, treat it well and never, never part with it.

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Agreed. Although be wary with usage of the damping trough, in my experience it can detract more than benefit if you're not careful.

11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I bought mine in the late Seventies and it's staying...

12. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Not clear from the pictures on the web. Has it just one large ball bearing for vertical movement?

13. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

someone should mention the TD150, which was widely regarded as a 'proper' thorens. The 160 , it's son, was thought to be the lesser deck, although more modern in terms of convenience to play IIRC. It also had a better arm, but a good, armless 150 is another Thorens worth finding and keeping.

docstocker and narabdela like this.