advertisement

Thorens TD160 pulley assembly

florette69

pfm Member
I recently replaced the belt on my trusty TD160 Mk II BC, and have discovered an issue with the pulley. When changing from 33 to 45, the platter stops turning.

The subplatter turns smoothly, and spins freely when given a gentle turn with belt removed. With the platter removed, at 33rpm it seems to work well, but I noticed the pulley vibrates considerably when trying to drive subplatter at 45. With belt removed, if I apply a little pressure to the pulley, it vibrates a lot, and the clutch mechanism seems not to be doing its job.

Are there any other checks I should make before trying to source a replacement pulley?

Or should I just buy a 21st century turntable?

As I recall the motor does'nt change speed but the belt goes to a different part of the pulley, so it will also run around a different part of the subplatter. So it may be a physical issue perhaps the sub platterneeds cleaning ?

I've cleaned the subplatter edge with isopropyl, but have also isolated the problem to the motor/pulley area (I think!). The pulley assembly vibrates when the belt is moved to 45rpm. The pulley clutch mech also does not seem to work, because if I apply pressure to the pulley while it is spinning, it vibrates and the motor stops turning. The clutch should allow the brass spindle from the motor to continue turning if the outer plastic pulley is under pressure.

Hmmmmm...you can buy aftermarket pulleys in turned aluminium. The supplier is in Italy somewhere. I bought one for my TD 125 once upon a few turntables ago.

Thanks for that recommendation. I'll see if I can disassemble and clean the original assembly. Otherwise I'll be contacting Audiosilente.

advertisement

Back