advertisement

Thorens TD160 oil etc.

Hello,

I recently bought a Thorens TD160 off ebay. I'm in the process of buying the set-up and maintenance tools but I'm confused as to what oil(s) I need for the deck.

From what I've read via different sources, it seems that a little oil needs applying to the platter bearing and the motor, but I also read somewhere else that oil needs applying to the spindle somehow. This has threw me a little as I only thought it was necessary to apply the oil in the aforementioned places.

If anyone can shed any light on this for me and save me hours of searching the internet, I'd be very grateful.

Kind regards,
Rob

PS Any other tips for a new 160 user- it's my first turntable!

Hi tentonclown.
The platter bearing of the TD160 comes with bushings that were "lubed for life". You should be able to simply remove the inner platter (with bearing shaft attached) and observe the condition of the shaft for evidence of wear. Typically, these hold up very well over the decades. Although it can't hurt to smear some fresh lube over the shaft prior to installing it back into the bearing housing.

re: Thorens lube
Thorens used a 20 wt turbine oil. This oil was/is compatible with the porous bronze bushings in the bearing well. You can also use this oil on the motor bushings.

Unfortunately the current Thorens Export Company does not distribute lube for these legacy models any more. There are modern equivalent versions of this lubrication, but these are sold by the oil companies in 5 gallon barrels. Not convenient for home users.

One seller that I know of who can supply the correct lube is a former Thorens employee who frequents The Vinyl Engine. His moniker is "Violette". You might try him.

-Steve

advertisement

Back