advertisement

Thorens TD135

I did buy this one, the motor units in good condition, but the arms fooked. I've spent a while hammering to get it straight, but not really good enough to risk vinyl :-(

DSC_2990 by levs the diver, on Flickr.

I'll probably remove the original arm, and spin it 90º (keep an eye out for another), not quite enough room for a 9" arm in the normal position :rolleyes:

This is way late, and I'm not sure if this post was a bit of sarcasm aimed at a clueless seller, but that issue with that photo is a headshell meant for a straight arm is mounted on an earlier curved arm.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/no_no_1.htm

Ah yes, I've seen that on another thread. Has been my intent to do roughly the same, although my woodworking skills won't match that, intelligent rotation of the 135.

FAO: AWL

I have just inherited my late Father-in-Law's TD135 MKII. I'd be very grateful, if you are interested, if you could get in touch to discuss some work.

Many Thanks.

Hi - I've received a 'new' TD 135 Mk2 recently, and am also keen to use a 2nd tonearm (but will leave the existing tonearm in place).

The Mk2 motor is started when you move the tonearm to the right, the challenge will be to start it with the 2nd tonearm.

For me the appeal of the TD-135 is its compactness, its solid engineering and clever semi-automatic mechanism. It can, of course, be used as a motor unit with more than one arm, but that misses the point imho.

For me the appeal of the TD-135 is its compactness, its solid engineering and clever semi-automatic mechanism. It can, of course, be used as a motor unit with more than one arm, but that misses the point imho.

After giving this some thought, I've decided to keep the turntable as original as possible, and won't add a 2nd tonearm.

Another question: the center plate is somewhat rusted, but I cannot find any information on how to remove the rubber mat in order to restore the center. Any ideas?

IMG_20170714_083844 by johan pretorius, on Flickr

IMG_20170714_080926 by johan pretorius, on Flickr

Lovely looking thing! ...and I'm so glad you plan to keep it original. I'm not a lover of frankenturntables. :)

What cartridge are you planning to use?

It currently has a Shure M75EJ Type 2 with a new stylus, and sounds pretty good. Not sure about an upgrade just yet. The current setup passed all but one of the tests on the HiFi News Test LP (Producer's Cut).

I also have a TD 165 ('special' model, which has the motor and bearing from the TD 160) with an Empire Rex 66E X phono cartridge, which I plan to upgrade to an Audio-Technica AT440MLB (with a new headshell from AudioSilente). It failed 2 of the test tracks (but it needs a new belt, lubrication service and suspension tuning).

Might be a good idea to start new threads for both these projects :)

advertisement

Back